Skip to main content

Going To The Airport

Brad, James and I took my parents to the airport last night. They went to Louisiana. 40 years ago (on June 14) they had their honeymoon in New Orleans. I love going to the airport. It either means that someone is going somewhere and I am excited for them or they are coming home and I am glad because I've missed them.


When I was little my dad traveled a lot. We would go to the airport to pick him up and I think that is when my obsession began. When he went out of town mom would do lots of things to make it fun for us so that we wouldn't miss dad so much. Like living room picnics...she'd put a blue patchwork quilt on the floor in front of the tv and we'd order pizza or get KFC. One time while he was gone she took us to the drive-in theater to see Gremlins. My sisters got scared and we had to leave. Big wienies. She'd also let us take turns sleeping with her while he was gone. This was always a big treat. I'm sure both sisters slept with her the night after the Gremlins.
Terrifying, isn't he?


But then when dad came back into town, we'd go to the airport to pick him up and that was the most exciting. That meant sussies! One time when we went to get him I got bored while we were waiting and wandered off and stuck my head through some railing and got stuck. They had to get security to cut me out. My poor mother. I am sure she just wanted to leave me there.


Another time dad came back and had shaved off his mustache. This did not go over well with me. I freaked out and didn't want him to get in the car. (Mom apparently learned that it was best to wait for him in the car instead of taking us into the airport due to me getting my gigantic head stuck in the railing...plus I am sure she was too embarrassed to show her face in the airport again with her crazy big-headed kid). Anyhow, he hasn't shaved it off since. That's a good thing since I am relatively certain I would react the same way even to this day. Somethings are better left unchanged.


So they get back Wednesday and I am already excited to go get them. I seriously need to get a life. But I do hope they bring me a sussy.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yes m'dear there are sussies. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane. You were a darling child, full of all kinds fun! We never knew what to expect next.