Skip to main content

Old Folks

I think that I might have the strangest neighbors in the entire world...bless their hearts. I've said before that we live in a neighborhood with ALL decrepitly old people. Well, the house across the street from us went up for sale and Brad and I are praying for a normal young couple with a baby to buy it. So today James and I were out front saying goodbye to my mom and two of the old folks wobbled over to talk to me in the blazing heat for about seventythousand hours. Apparently their internal thermometers are broken because James and I were both sweating profusely and they looked as cool as cucumbers.


They are the official neighborhood gossip-spreaders and they do their job efficiently and expediently. Anyhow...this enfeebled couple told me right after we moved in that one of the previous owners of our home had "just died right there in the living room". Always what you want to hear about your new home, right? Not so much. They also told me about the house "down-the-way" (only old people use that term) that was a meth house. I seriously doubt they even know what meth is. And for the record...I really do live in a good neighborhood...doesn't sound like it, but I do.


Today the news was about the house across the street. First words out of their mouths were, "well don't you hope a nice old couple buys it?" Ummmm.....no, not really. On they went to tell me about the utter state of disrepair that the house is in...which included tales of vomit, blood, aids, and urine. Which was followed by, "don't let James crawl over there...wouldn't want him getting aids or anything." No...I reckon I won't let him crawl across the street and into a strange house after all. I had been thinking about it, but that changed my mind. Perhaps their reasoning skills left them the same time the internal thermometers did. Bless their hearts.


Tonight, after this heatwave passes, I am going to talk Brad into sneaking over there with me to do a little inspecting. I need to know if it is as bad as they say. Morbid curiosity. If it's not, their credibility is shot and I am going to have to question all of the rest of their stories.


By the way...I feel safe talking about them so freely because they are from the time of stone tablets and dinosaurs...I doubt they have a computer. And deep down I really do like them.


I hate to post without a picture...and I don't have a picture of any of the aforementioned old folks...so I will post a picture of James who valiantly braved the heat and old people with me today for half of forever without even whimpering. Which is more than I can say for myself.

Comments

Jessica Hopper said…
Ok, this blog about your neighbors cracked me up!! LOL :)
Anonymous said…
You are cracking me up! I love you. and miss you. Jodie