Skip to main content

They Hatched!

So Brad came to me today and told me that the babies had hatched! I ran to get my stool and the camera. He said that he saw one of the babies with her little beak pointed up waiting for some food. I never saw that though. I hope they aren't dead. Now that the last egg is hatched I realize that the furry thing I've been so confused about is indeed a baby bird...or was a baby bird. I wish I knew if they were alive or not. And another question...where do the eggshells go? I looked up some information and now I know that they are robins, it takes about 2 weeks for all of the eggs to hatch and another 2 weeks for the babies to fly away. But what I can't find is how to know if they are dead or not. I need to know if I should go ahead and mourn or keep an eye on them. I know it took James a good month after he hatched to be alert and active. So I am hoping they are in the lumpy newborn stage where they don't do much of anything but look cute. (Which...no offense to the mommy bird...but they are not so cute right now). I also found out that only 40% of the nests produce babies. I feel super-lucky!
Here is another fun fact I learned today...did you know that it would be illegal for me to bring the babies inside to take care of them and feed them!?!? Only licenced wildlife people are allowed to do that. Interesting.
Now if I can just talk Brad into getting me some worms to leave for the new little family. It would just be the polite thing to do. I know that I sure loved it when people brought me meals after James arrived.

Comments