Skip to main content

The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

I wanted to post some of the pictures from the past couple of weeks that tell our story better than I can.  To say that these have been the hardest two weeks of our life is an understatement.  However, the Lord has shown Himself to us in a whole new way through this and we will forever be grateful for that.  We’ve been humbled and blessed by the prayers of so many.  We’ve grown closer as a family.  We’ve grown stronger.  This journey is far from over and I am painfully aware of that, but I know now more than ever that the Lord will equip us every step of the way.

When I said, “My foot is slipping,” You, O Lord, supported me.  When anxiety was great within me, Your consolation brought joy to my soul. Psalm 94:18-19

The first night in the hospital they brought us a little cot for one of us to sleep on and a recliner for the other.  We both lay down on the cot together to pray knowing neither one of us would be sleeping that night.  As broken, scared and hurting as we were, in that moment I realized that the only person that loved this child as much as I do was right beside me.  He was the strong one.  We were in it together willing to do anything we could for our son.  As awful as everything was, that moment was precious to me.  I fell more in love with Brad over those nightmarish days.  He was a rock.  When I literally could not stand up and could not breathe, he was right there.  When I had no words to pray, he did.  When my brain couldn’t take in any more information, he kept listening.

Day One

This was the day I took Jude in for his 6 month well check.  The day Dr. Honey found the tumor and told me we needed to get a sonogram to make sure everything was ok.  She tried so hard not to worry me.  The Lord was guiding her sweet hands that day to save my little boys life.
Day Two

This was at the hospital before the sonogram.  I had convinced myself that everything was probably going to be ok.
Dr. Ross knelt before us and told us the words that are forever burned into my mind, “Your son has cancer.”  We were admitted to the hospital.
Day Three

2:30 am-I gave Jude his last bottle for several days.
He slept peacefully.
We were surrounded by family and friends before Jude’s surgery.  We were exhausted and terrified.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Our last few minutes with Jude before taking him to surgery.
 
The longest walk of my life.  My arms couldn’t let him go.  The nurse had to take him from me.
 
 
 
The grandfathers passing the time in the waiting room playing “words” on their iphones.
Post surgery.  Although my heart was filled with joy at the news that Dr. Nirgiotis was able to completely resect the tumor, it was horrific to see Jude in so much pain.
 
I could not get to him fast enough.  I wanted him in my arms.
 
 
I hate this picture.  He was so pale and weak.
 
 
His “beauty mark”.
Day Three

Jude’s first post surgery smile!
 
He got those legs going.
It broke our hearts to see him in pain.
 
 
 
Distracting him helped a little.
Brad’s family.
 
 
 
Uncle Chris brought James in.
Jude’s crib-mates.
Bath time.  Thank the Lord for Paul.  I was so scared to bathe Jude…Paul helped me through it.

 
 
Uncle Andy came.  I was so happy to see him!
We soaked up every moment with James when he would come to the hospital.  He was our little ray of sunshine.
Day Four

Rest and recovery without that awful NG tube.
My friend Sarah drove into town to check on us.  I love her.
 
 
Uncle Andy
 
My sweet Mommy and sisters.
 
 
Chillin' with Judie Bug
Our angel Dr. Honey and her beautiful girls.
Our sweet friend Tavia
Happy to be free of his NG tube.
Leaving room 3 in the PICU and moving to a bigger room.  Sad to leave our sweet nurses but happy to be in a bigger space.
 
Day Five

Nana and Papa!
 
 Aunt Carrie and Aunt Christi
 
 
 
 
This is where they took the bone marrow biopsies from.
Morgie
Maddie
Visits from our family and friends kept us going.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 My friend, Michelle.
 
I think my face says it all...too much information-too little sleep.
 Our beautiful Nana-Pie
 
 
 
The head CT that came back all clear!
Sleepy time.
 
The world's best pediatric oncologist, Dr. Regueira.
Bed time.
All of the pretty pictures Jude got to look at colored for him by his cousins, Will, Grant and Brock and also by his friends, Taylor and Paul.
Day Six

Our last day in the hospital!
Finally free of all wires and tubes!
 
 
 
Dr. Nirgiotis told me not to look up "neuroblastoma" on the computer and I didn't until today.  I shouldn't have.  But once again...I trust the Lord with this sweet baby!  He has him engraved on the palm of His hand.

So there it all is thus far...the good, the bad, and the ugly....the ugly mainly being me sans makeup and with major teary face.  Thank you for being part of this and please continue to pray with us for Jude.  You don't know how much your prayers mean to us!  We love you.

Comments

Melinda said…
Stephanie .. This is a heart wrenching yet heart warming testimony! You are so beautiful in the pictures ... You look worried yet .. Amazing!!! Truly a testimony to God & his wonderful miracles! Prayers will continue for you, Brad, Jude & James! Much love to you!
Oh, Snuzi, this brought me to tears feeling the pain you felt handing him over to the nurse for his surgery. I love you guys and we will continue to pray for sweet Jude here in Arlington :)