Skip to main content

Pride Cometh Before The Fall

I don't consider myself an expert baker or anything...I wouldn't say I am a beginner either. Maybe somewhere in the middle. But there is one thing that I just cannot master no matter how hard I try. Chocolate Chip Cookies. My husband loves them. And I've tried and I've tried but they are always a dismal failure. My mother makes them the best. My sisters make fabulous chocolate chip cookies also. But me, not so much...and I even worked in a bakery throughout high school!

Well Brad had some things to go do this morning and while he was out, I thought I would try again. After the last time and his response to my pathetic attempt, I swore I would never make him chocolate chip cookies again. But my goal as his wife is to delight him...even if it means facing harsh criticisms of my baking abilities. And besides...I really love chocolate chip cookie dough...from the bottom of my heart...and the bottom of my thighs. So it's a small sacrifice to make.

I followed the recipe scrupulously...measuring and re-measuring...keeping the mixer on just the right speed...measuring out a 1/4 cups worth of cookie dough for each cookie...carefully placing them exactly 2 inches apart on the cookies sheet....setting the timer...

And they turned out BEAUTIFULLY! They were the prettiest cookies ever! I was SO proud of myself and felt oh-so-redeemed and vindicated!

Then the hubs came in and cast a doubtful glance towards my little beauties. "Perhaps he thinks it is a mirage", I thought. "I mean....they are so pretty he probably thinks they are fake!" So to make all of his dreams a reality I sweetly said, "Look honey, I made you some chocolate chip cookies!" He flatly responded, "Thanks." Now, I didn't take offense because I knew he was probably a little bit skeptical from the last batch. I went about getting lunch on the table and he warily took one of my little culinary masterpieces off the plate. I held my breath and waited with eager anticipation for the pouring forth of praise that was soon to be coming my way.


Nothing.


"Honey, how are the cookies? Do you like them?" I asked.


"Yes. They are much better than the last ones."


Sensing something was amiss I questioned, "But there's something wrong, I can tell you aren't crazy about them! What is it???"


"Well, are they really chocolate chip cookies?"


"HOW DARE HE!!", I thought. "Ummmm....yeh! Why?" (Subtle sarcasm in my tone).


Then turning his cookie to me he said, "Because mine doesn't have any chocolate chips in it."


Sure enough...not one single stinking morsel! He got the ONE AND ONLY cookie on the plate that had ZERO chocolate chips in it. How is that even possible?!?! You want to know how that is possible? I'll tell you how. Because pride cometh before the fall! That's how!


But after all of that, he still came in from mowing the lawn to bring me this...

He knows I love all things tiny, all things pink, all things rosy, and all things that smell good. He was trimming our Marie Pavie rose bush and saw this little darling and brought it in to me because he knew it would make me happy. He stopped what he was doing because he saw something that reminded him of me. And he didn't even have to mess up the kitchen, turn the oven on, or get out any ingredients. Delight can come in many forms but most easily and sincerely in the simple things.

Comments