Skip to main content

Yummy Sandwiches

I had such a great morning with my sister-in-law, Karin and her little girl Addison. They are so much fun. James got to take a nap in Addi's bed and poor Addi had to nap in her pack and play. She is SO cute. She is so close to crawling. She does what her mom calls her downward dog yoga pose. It is so cute.

Here is the little darling trying so hard to crawl to her mommy!
I love having a sister-in-law that is younger than I am. I always wanted a little sister growing up and now I get one! We love that we are both staying home now so we get to spend more time together.

Her mother-in-law, Barbara is a fabulous cook! Today Karin shared 2 of her scrumptious recipes with me and I'll share with you. Tonight I made her Hot Ham & Cheese Sandwiches. The recipe as it is would make 12-14 sandwiches. I cut the recipe in half and it made 6 sandwiches (could have easily made 7). I will tell you the recipe as it is, not as I made it in 1/2. Does that make sense?

First of all, mix up 1 stick of softened butter, 1 stick of softened margarine, 1/2 cup of mustard, 1 teaspoon of poppy seeds, and 1 teaspoon of grated onion. Now I had never heard of grating an onion and I questioned Karin intensely on this...she assured me that you do indeed get out your cheese grater and grate 1 teaspoons worth of onion. I used a microplane and, sure enough, it worked just great! You learn something everyday!
Then you get some really yummy hamburger buns...I suppose any kind of buns would work though...and you spread some of the mustard mixture on both sides of the buns.
Then you put a slice of Swiss cheese or provolone cheese (I used a little of both) on both sides of the bun.
Then you put (and listen closely here because Karin said this part is very important) good deli ham shaved really really thin on one side. Don't get the crappy pre-sliced pre-packaged stuff. I used pepper ham and it was delish. And I got one pound and it was just enough for 6...so get at least twice that much for the whole recipe.
Then you put the two sides together.
Wrap it up in foil.
Put the cute little packets on a cookie sheet and pop them in the oven at 350* for 10-15 minutes.

Then you have this toasty yummy melty deliciousness....mmmmmmmmmm.

Bradley...with his refined and educated palate...wholeheartedly approved of these sandwiches...and that means they are REALLY good.

I haven't made the other recipe yet, but as soon as I do, I will share it with you. It's called Cheesy Chicken and sounds really fabulous.

On another culinary note...James had his first macaroni and cheese tonight and liked it. It took him awhile to get used to the new texture but he figured it out pretty quickly. He also ate his weight in banana nut cheerios today. And in an unrelated event...he had the most goshawful blowout of a diaper today. The poo was all over his onesie, shirt, shorts, my shirt, the changing table, and his blanket. Everybody got baths and everything got washed and I lived through it. Whew...that was a close one. And a nasty one. Perhaps those cheerios have a healthy dose of fiber in them.

Comments