Skip to main content

James' Birth

Have I ever told you the WHOLE story about James' birth? Oh good, I didn't think so! It's another good one.

Let me start at the beginning. On Saturday, February 23, 2008 at 5:00 a.m., this happened.I sat swimmy-headed on the bathroom floor for several minutes before waking Brad up to tell him. But once we settled into our new roles of expectant mom and dad, we looked forward, with great joy and anticipation, to the day we would meet our baby.

Our predicted due date was October 31st. I was so not down with having a Halloween baby so I willed the child to come early. But when we had our 2nd sonogram on June 24th, they told us he was measuring 2 weeks bigger than we thought. Perfect!!! And they told us he was a BOY!

Brad and I are both major planners. The day we found out we were having a boy we started painting the room, ordering the bedding, & buying the going-home-from-the-hospital-outfit. To be honest, I think I began nesting the moment I found out I was pregnant. Everything...and I mean every single thing...that could possibly be ready for this baby was ready well in advance of our due date. My hospital suitcase was packed and in the car for a good month before I went into labor.

I quit my job on September 19th and pretty much sat around and got more and more fat and miserable with every passing day. Around the 1st week of October I decided it was baby time. I started getting pedicures, walking all the time, eating spicy food, and every other known method to make babies come. But on October 8th I had really had it. I didn't want to be pregnant any longer. I am not a good pregnant person. I went and got a pedicure and told the guy to give me a really good food massage, came home and made Brad rub my feet some more, and then we walked. We walked and walked and walked. I was having what I thought were Braxton Hicks contractions all evening. But we kept on walking. I was up all night with inconsistent contractions. The next day I called my doctor and reported the previous night's events. He told me to lie down and time my contractions for an hour. They were still pretty inconsistent. He told me to head up to the hospital to be checked just in case.

I called Brad and told him I was going to the hospital to be checked and he should probably meet me up there. He was extra cranky that day which is incredibly unusual for Brad. He was VERY late meeting me up at the hospital. And when he did get there he hovered. I hate hovering. He was cranky and hovering. Brad and low blood sugar is a bad bad thing. I told the nurse to make him go to the cafeteria and eat something. She did. And he did. And he was ALL better and in go-mode when he came back.

After about an hour of monitoring the nurse came in to tell us she had just talked to my doctor and she said, "You are going to have a baby today!" We were SHOCKED! I honestly thought they would tell me to go home and that it would probably be a couple of more weeks.

We called my mom and dad and they came up to the hospital right away. Mom called my sisters and Carrie and the girls headed out for Amarillo right away. Christi had sick kids and couldn't come but was there via cell phone.

As soon as it was humanly possible I got an epidural. I am not one for pain or discomfort of any kind if it can be avoided. In fact, if I could have an epidural right at this very moment I would. It was heavenly. But the whole birth experience for me was an absolute joy. Mom was on one side and Brad was on the other and every time I would curl up to push, I could hear my Mom pushing right along with me in a valiant show of moral support. I couldn't help but burst out laughing every time. The nurses got a little irritated with us since we were supposed to be FOCUSING! I laughed my way through 6 hours of labor.

Right at the end...moments before James was born, my sister Carrie ran through the door! She made it just in time to see James being born. We had Christi on the phone and we pretended she was right there with us.

Push!


PUSH!!

PPPPPUUUUSSSSHHHHH!!!!!!!!


On the last push I heard Dr. Meeks say, "Stephanie, look down. Stephanie!! LOOK DOWN!!!" And here came beautiful baby James. On October 9, 2008 at 8:30 p.m. a perfectly wonderful baby boy came squealing and squirming and screaming into this world, into our lives, and into our hearts. Oh, what a joyous moment! My life was complete.

Nine years before James was born I buried twin daughters. When they put baby James in my arms I was overwhelmed with thoughts of gratitude to the Lord for this beautiful healthy living baby boy. For nine months I had been holding my breath...waiting for the worst.I never thought I would get the blessing and opportunity to hold my own child. I had waited so long for that day and it was too much for my heart to hold. I looked at every single perfect feature on his sweet face and praised the Lord.I couldn't wrap my mind around the fact that he was all mine...that I got to be his mommy. My heart poured out joy, thanks, and praise to the Lord. And every day, it still does.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You made me cry again!! YAMS
apryl said…
how is it that you look perfect and beautiful after hours of labor? I don't remember wearing a lick of make-up for like hmmmm 2 months? LOL!
The Vinyards said…
I loved reading this post. I was teary from the beginning! Babies are such a blessing.
Linda said…
You are the most beautiful expectant mother I have ever seen! How did you look so good after labor! I'm beginning to think James was adopted and this is all a Hollywood set with Criss Angel as Dr. Meeks.
Love ya
Linda