Skip to main content

My 100th Post!

Wow! I need to get a life! All I do is blog and play with James, I guess. 100 posts...all to say a whole bunch of nothing. (Thanks Mom for reading all 100).


I don't know if it is the blog, the baby, the homemaking duties, or what...but something really sad and shameful has happened. I'm embarrassed to even tell you. But they say confession is good for the soul....


So here goes....


Look at my poor dog George...



Once upon a time he was meticulously groomed every couple of weeks, hours were spent brushing out his beautiful fluffy white hair (look how lustrous and healthy it was!), picking out darling outfits, toting him over to Mom's to show him off, bragging about the darling things he was doing, proudly walking him in the neighborhood, hours spent bonding with the groomer discussing what color of bows to put on his ears....and now we've come to this...A ratty, old, scruffy-looking, matted-up, neglected pooch.


I don't blame him for being depressed. I would be too. James has taken his place in our hearts. Sure he's a good dog and we love him, but he doesn't get near the attention he used to when he was the main attraction around here. For years we sent out pictures of George in our Christmas cards proudly dressed in a fancy Christmas outfit. (Don't judge...I didn't have kids...or a life apparently).

Last year's Christmas picture was all about James...The center of our world! And George sat sadly by and watched as he was not included in that year's picture. And I am not sure he loves the new attention that is lavished on him by a drooly, grabby, interested little boy, but he takes what he can get.



Brad and I feel a suffocating amount of guilt over this. He needs desperately to be groomed but, you see...we are going on vacation in a week and a half and I don't want to get him groomed before we go because he will be outside part of the time (something that NEVER would have happened back in his glory days).


So, Brad took pity on him last night and decided to brush him out. George loved the attention. But sadly, Brad discovered that his tail was matted beyond repair. That's when it happened. I was on the phone with my sister and couldn't stop it. It was all happening in slow motion right before my very eyes. I saw him get the scissors. I saw him slowly moving towards the dog. And then Brad did this to his tail...He gave it a mullet.

He claims that is what it took to get the mattes out. I'm horrified! How will I EVER show my face at the groomers now? I'm going to be reported to the SPCA or PETA or something. So this is my plea of innocence: We really do love our dog. We really do care for him and feed him and love on him and all that good stuff. He even sleeps in our room on a fluffy pretty shabby chic dog bed with his very own blankie. He has a basket of toys all to himself! I give him his favorite treat of peanut butter every now and then. When I'm cooking chicken or bacon I always throw him a few bites. I promise!!!




And maybe just maybe someday we will get back to this...(Probably not but you never know)...Where he was adored and included in family pictures.

Ok...now I'm going to go play with George to assuage some of my guilt. He's really stinky though so it probably won't last long.

Comments