Skip to main content

Girls Day Out

Oh my goodness...today was so much fun! Four friends and I had a GDO. We've had this day planned for over a month. I haven't seen these girls in 13 years. We went to lunch and then to get pedicures. We laughed so hard and talked non-stop for about 6 straight hours. Left to right this is Jessica, Melinda, Sarah, me and Robin.
To start the day off right...Melinda and I met at Starbucks for a coffee. Before I got preggers and had to lay off the caffeine, I was addicted to quad vanilla lattes. That would be quad as in 4 shots of espresso. So I thought I would give it a whirl again. Bad idea. I'll be up for about 6 days straight. That was at 10:00 this morning and I am still jittery. What was I thinking?!?!? I've lost my edge. That kid has made me soft in more ways than one.

So anyways...Melinda and I had coffee, then met the rest of the girls at her house. We talked for about an hour and then went to My Thai. When you move away from Amarillo, you crave My Thai. Even if you weren't that big of a fan when you lived here. Sarah and Jessica have moved off so they needed to get their fix.
After lunch it was off to get pedicures. Jessica was a pedicure virgin. Now she's an addict. That's how it goes.

I deviated from my normal red or pink and did this...
Turquoise with pink and silver zebra stripes. Don't ask me why. I think Sarah influenced my decision making here...that wasn't the first time she's done that either. Or maybe it was the copious amount of caffeine coursing through my veins that made me do it. Whatever it was, I am wondering what I could possibly wear to church tomorrow that will match this. Closed-toe shoes perhaps?
Speaking of Sarah...of all of the girls in the group...I have known her the longest. We grew up together. We met at church when we were young. Since we've caught back up, it is like we never stopped talking. Don't you just love it when that happens!? But she is one of those warm genuine people that makes you feel all important and happy. She's great like that. Her hubby dropped her off at Melinda's and it was my first time to meet him. He is a very tall cowboy. It was great fun to see a real live cowboy...cowboy hat and all. They had their 20 or 30 kids in the car and one of the smallish sized ones popped out and slammed his little hand in the door. I've never seen a cowboy that tall move that fast. Impressive. I think I was far more traumatized over the smashed finger than anyone else was. It was hilarious though because Brent (the tall cowboy) was holding the little fella and consoled him by telling him he could choose where they would eat lunch. Without missing a beat and through the wailing he said, "Dairy Queen". I about wet my pants laughing. Sarah said, "Yeh, we don't have a Dairy Queen". They live in a small town. The little guy was all cheered up by that and happily went back to the car and as he was walking off he cheerfully said to another smallish sized child that came out of the car..."that door is evil!" SO FUNNY!

Melinda...where to start...she is like a pretty tan blond barbie doll. Since we have re-connected (hmmm...that sounds weird) I have felt an easy connection with her. You know how sometimes things just click with certain people? That's what it's like with her. She's so darn funny. Plus she drives a mini-van and that automatically makes me like her a lot. She has a bumper sticker on the back of her mini-van that says, "I'm only speeding because I really need to poop". That made me like her more. I have laughed about that several times today. I must get that for my husband...fast metabolism and all. Anyways...Melinda has to be my friend now because I know where she lives and it is close to my house and she said I can go to the pool with her...presumably to scare some of this ghostly whiteness off of me. I probably hurt her eyes. That's fine...I'm ok with being her charity case. She has a whole bunch of kids too...and a whole bunch of animals.

Robin is so sweet! She was probably the quietest of our group. She has two beautiful daughters. She was telling us the most amazing story about her last labor experience. She didn't know she was in labor and delivered her baby in like 12 minutes or something. With NO epidural! That's right...NO epidural. She must have some sort of freakishly high pain tolerance to not know she was in labor and pop a kid out with no epidural. Way to go girl! Plus she told me she loved being pregnant. I have all sorts of respect for her. I hated being pregnant and started begging for an epidural the second I set foot on the maternity floor.

And Jessica. Sweet, quiet, super super sweet, pink-haired Jessica. I can tell you this...I will automatically love anyone with pink hair. I love all things pink. Jessica is married to Justin and they have 2 kids. They have known each other since the 6th grade, started dating in the 10th grade and got married after high school. And are still married. Now that is one heck of an accomplishment! You absolutely cannot help but like Jessica. She is so sincere and compassionate and kind. She has an amazing testimony. I truly enjoyed getting to know her a little better today and want to know more. She is so soft-spoken and kind that it makes me want to be more like that. I won't ever be soft-spoken...but I can sure admire someone who is.


It was such a fun day. I just love each of these girls and can't wait to spend more time with them. I learned a lot about each of them. It's funny because we haven't seen each other in 13 years...and I don't know that I was extremely close to any of them in high school...but it's amazing how a little time and maturity can bring people together. I found something...or maybe several things in common with each of them. I don't want to lose touch again.

So after a long hard day of eating out and getting pedis, this is all I could think about.......

I couldn't get to him fast enough....

I wanted to snuggle him up and never be more than 2 feet away from him ever again for as long as I live. Or until he is a teenager.

There is so much more to post about today but that will have to happen at another time. I am actually getting sleepy! Shocking! Nite-nite.

Comments

You are so SWEET Stephanie. :) Thank you for your kind words. Like you said, none of us really were friends in high school, we just kinda knew each other, but it was SO much funny getting to know each other better at this point in our lives. How awesome. And your son is the cutest! Enjoy every single moment you have with him at each stage of his life. It is so hard for me to remember all the moments I shared with my babies when they were that age, it just escapes your memory as the years pass. So enjoy it and never wish that it would hurry past. Love ya girl!