Skip to main content

Put A Little Paint On The Barn

Have you ever just had one of those days? That was today for me. It started out all wrong from the get-go. I opted for a cup of coffee and the computer as opposed to running. Then after James went down for his first nap I made my second mistake...I went to get ready for the day and made the never-wise choice of just pulling my hair back instead of washing it (and really I know this is not fooling anybody...it doesn't make it clean just because it's in a ponytail). Then I took my sloth one step further by choosing comfy clothes to wear for the day (i.e.-something you should probably only wear to bed...never ever out in public). Then I sealed my fate by committing the ultimate housewife sin...I chose not to put on make up. I should have known it right then. It's going to be a bad day.



It may have been ok except for the fact that I WENT OUT IN PUBLIC like this! GASP! I went to the grocery store and saw 3 whole people that I know. The humiliation! And why is it that when you ever go out in such a state and get caught, you always feel the need to apologize for your appearance? Oh, you don't do that? It's just me!?! Great.



So somewhere along in there I made yet another fatal choice to take the stroller into the store as opposed to getting a cart. WHY!?!? What is wrong with my brain today? I was going to the store for cokes for pete's sake! After getting into the store and realizing my mistake, I got a bunch of other small things that I could cram underneath the stroller and waited till the end to get the mammoth bajillion pack of coke that it requires to slake my husbands thirst throughout the week. Then decided right after that to add 2 bags of ice and some popsicles to the mix. (Foreshadowing here).



Bad choice number #8: Self check-out lane+coupons=disastrously long process & fussy impatient baby. I know better than that! If you have any coupons to use, you know you never go to the self check-out lane! Yet another fine example of my complete lack of brain activity today.



Here comes the cataclysmic spiral downwards for me. I was holding it all together pretty well up until this point. As I was pushing the stroller with one hand (not easy in case you've never tried this) and pulling the cart with the other, I ran into person #3 that I knew. I hadn't seen person #3 in many many years and wanted to catch up for a minute. That wasn't the bad part...after we said goodbye...I couldn't find my car. Not like I was on the wrong aisle or something...like I was completely not present when the car was parked. For all I knew at that moment, the car could have been parked on another planet. I had absolutely ZERO recollection of parking the car and walking into the store. I frantically pressed the "panic" button on my key and listened for the horn. Nothing. By this point, the previously fussy and impatient infant had now worked himself up into an all out frenzy. This doesn't help my brain work. At all.



Up and down every aisle, people staring at me like I am the poor little senile old lady who can't remember where she parked her car...or remember what car she even drives...until I finally saw my car. Unfortunately by this point my ice and popsicles had melted...as had the baby and I. I loaded the car, shirked my usually cheerful acceptance of my civic duty of returning the cart to the cart corral, got in the car, fired up the a/c, and sat there and shook uncontrollable for a long time. Luckily one of my sisters called at this point and calmed me down. But she wasn't fooling me...I heard the pity in her voice. I could tell she thought I might be having a mental breakdown. (But to be fair, at that point I was convinced I was too).



Moving on to mistake #...ummm.....I lost count.... In recent years I have discovered that I am a nervous eater. For instance, one time at work my boss called me and told me I needed to break some really devastating news to someone. I hung up the phone from him and immediately shoved 4 whole cookies in my mouth. It was an automatic response. I couldn't stop myself. Anywho...where was I...oh yeh...nervous eater. So when I got home, I put James down for a nap, got a towel to mop up the melted ice, unloaded the OH SO IMPORTANT cokes, then sat down and ate a chocolate zinger, a 1/4 of a bag of bar-b-q potato chips, a plum, and a melty popsicle. Then I wished I could reverse that last decision.



Finally came the all out apocalyptically proportioned destruction of the day. James had crawled into the kitchen while I was on the phone with my friend Jenniffer and I went in there to get him. As I leaned down to get him I saw an actual worm on my kitchen floor. I'm pretty sure I busted out Jenniffer's ear drums. I quickly let her go and called Brad. Because supposedly one of the main reasons a girl gets married is to have her very own bug-killer. You know the routine...we've been down this road before. I scream, he tells me to step on it, I tell him no-way because I'm barefoot and wouldn't want to hear the squish anyways, he tells me to spray it with raid and cover it with the trash can and then I beg him to come home and save me.



And as he was literally racing home to save me from the now 5 worms in the kitchen, he got a speeding ticket. A big one. And it's all my fault. If I had been brave enough to de-worm the kitchen myself, he wouldn't have had to speed home to be the hero. But I'm not brave enough. Never have been, never will be. I hate bugs of all kinds. That will never change.



All I know is that you can bet your bottom dollar that I will have freshly washed hair, perfectly applied make-up and a darling outfit on tomorrow. It makes all the difference in the world.



And no, we don't know where, what, when, how or why the worms came from. I really don't want to know. I just want them gone.



I don't cry a whole lot...unless it's a Hallmark commercial...those get me every time. But I shed some tears over this day. Isn't that silly?!? I've had much worse. This is NOTHING in the grand scheme of things. I certainly can handle much more. But today...not so much. I just let it all cave in on me and acted like a big ol baby and cried. Perhaps I am re-booted now and will be normal (well...that's relative...normal for me, I guess) tomorrow.



Ok...and since I don't post without pictures I will leave you with these because they have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with today and weren't even taken today which is one of the main reasons they make me happy.

James watching tv with his Papa...

And James riding in the tiny wagon...

And by the way...if you should ever be unfortunate enough to see me out in public with no make-up and a pony tail...RUN, don't walk, the other way...for disaster is sure to be following me.

Psalm 30:5b-weeping may last for a night, but joy comes with the morning.

Lamentations 3:22-23 The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is His faithfulness; His mercies begin afresh each morning.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's my girl! I was waiting to see how this would turn out!!

YAMS
I LOVE reading your blogs and I LOVE that you blog every day. lol. I know this was a cruddy day, but I am happy to see in your other blogs that you made it through and the rest of the week was better. :) If I have learned anything from your bad day, it is NOT to leave the house without make-up and to always make mental note of where I park the car! LOL
jamee floyd said…
I'm sorry your day was crummy but it did make me feel better to realize that the whole going out without makeup thing happens to other people too! Everytime I do it, I run into a billion people I know but when I look clean and put together noone! How is that fair?