Skip to main content

Neighbors, Feet, and Dinner

I just got in from another nice long chat with my elderly neighbors. They are really something else! I got to hear all about their squirrel feeder, the stray neighborhood cat that they had the pound come pick up this morning, the normal gripes about the people who don't mow their lawns in a timely manner, and the outrage over the alley neighbors leaving their trash beside the dumpster as opposed to inside the dumpster.

When I quit my job, I was amazed to discover what all goes on in a neighborhood during the day. I had no idea! For instance, all of the old people on our block and the block behind us gather out in the alley...presumably to discuss the other neighbors and everything they are doing wrong. And there is another very very very old set of neighbors...I mean...like one foot in the grave old...that get out and walk once around the cul-de-sac in the afternoon. The wife wears a head scarf to protect her purple granny hair and she helps her husband who can barely walk. It is so sweet to see. There is another old couple that sit out in their driveway all afternoon and just watch the cars go by. He is friendly, she is not. Another old couple walks everyday with their fluffy dog. They are bundled up as if it was winter. They are by far the friendliest people in the neighborhood. I love them. They always stop to look at James and have the nicest things to say. And my favorite is the old lady a few doors down with the most spectacularly beautiful yard you've ever laid your eyes on. She's not one bit friendly but I'm working on her. I like her even if she doesn't like me...yet. I just refuse to believe that anyone could have flowers that beautiful and not be perfectly likable.



~~~~~




James has a sincere fascination with feet...specifically his feet and my feet. It's cute now but I will put a quick end to it if it goes on for too much longer...or if it branches out to other feet besides his and mine.



And here is James in his new jammies from Aunt Carrie.

Ok...time to go fix a fabulous gourmet meal. Frito chili pies. And what spectacular dessert will I whip up to go with such a culinary masterpiece, you ask??? Brownies, of course! The delightful thing about this is that my precious husband loves this meal as much as he would a fancy one. He's just the best!

Comments

Zach Bean said…
mmmm....I love the brownies you make with icing.
Linda said…
I think I need the recipes for sure! Please email them.

Also about your geriatric neighborhood ...... I think it should be studied for science. What interesting characters and personalities. I just can't imagine a little old lady not liking you?
Wait forget science, let's write a book. The Old Foggies of Amarillo!