Skip to main content

Jude

I wish I had cheerful news to post but I do not.  After a mostly sleepless night from my sore throat, I woke up to Jude screaming.  I think I mainly flew down the hall in one single step to get him.  He was burning up.  I took his temperature and it was 105.  I shot some ibuprofen in his mouth and called the doctor's office.  Whoever answered hung up because she couldn't hear me over Jude's inconsolable screaming.  I tried Raine's cell...no answer.  Then, miraculously, Dr. Honey called me (on her day off!!! she's awesome) to check on me.  I don't think I even gave her a chance to talk before freaking out about Jude's temp.  She told me to meet her up at her office.  I called Mom to come stay with James, put on something only slightly better than the pj's I was wearing, threw on a hat, and ran out the door.  Jude got another antibiotic shot at  Dr. Honey's then we went to the hospital to do labs and a chest x-ray.  It took the blood guy SEVERAL tries to get a vein and get the blood drawn.  Jude was FURIOUS!  And I was right behind him.  I don't know who cried more...him or me. 
Sick, angry baby holding a rubber ducky.
Thank goodness he got a prize rubber duck.  That totally makes it worth getting a shot, 2 q-tips shoved up your nose, an incompetent person jabbing your tiny baby arm with a needled then strapping you to a papoose straight jacket and jabbing several more times before finally getting the job done, then getting to head off to sit naked on a table while someone takes a picture of your bones.  Totally worth a rubber duck.  I'd be angry too.

The poor little thing was asleep in the parking lot before we even got to our car.  Rough morning.
The results came back and not only does Jude have strep throat and an ear infection...he also has PNEUMONIA!  So Dr. Honey called in an oral antibiotic for him.

I went to my appointment and I have strep throat too.  Duh.  I went and picked up mine and Jude's prescriptions and headed home.  My sweet Mom had stayed with the boys while I went to the doctor and then took James home with her so I could have a break.

Brad got off work and headed straight to the doctor because he too has strep throat.  Jude really knows how to share the love.  We are PRAYING that James doesn't get any of this.  I don't think that is possible since we are all living here and sharing the same germs.  If he dodges this bullet it will be a true answer to prayer miracle.

So my main goal is to keep Jude hydrated.  I got him up at 9:30 to try to get him to take a bottle and to give him his medicine.  He drank 5 ounces and I was THRILLED!  Then we gave him his medicine and he gagged so hard that he not only threw up everything he just drank and all of his medicine...but he threw up all over me, himself and my bed.  Thank you very much.  Because I totally feel like giving him a bath, taking a shower, and changing the sheets.  (For the record, Brad bathed Jude, re-dressed him and changed the sheets...I just scraped vomit off myself and took a shower).

So I bugged sweet Dr. Honey again and she gave me instructions on what to do for tonight.  It's going to be a long night.

I am going to be honest.  I am discouraged and frustrated and sad.  Is it not enough that Jude has to have a jillion scans done next week because he has cancer and is only 1 year old?  Now he has strep throat, and ear infection and pneumonia.  Plus a mom that is flat out exhausted and sick too.  I DO trust that the Lord intends this for our good.  He is trusting me with this experience and with this precious child.  I don't want to fail, or disappoint him, or miss the lesson...or blessing.  He will sustain us.
Psalm 41:3-The Lord sustains them on their sickbed and restores them from their bed of illness.
Romans 12:12-Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.
I am praying that we all quickly recover, mainly Jude, and that he is well in time for his appointments and scans next week.  Thank you for your prayers too.

Comments