Skip to main content

Day 1 Of Scans

Today was 100 times worse than I ever imagined it could be.  I am going to give you the shortest version possible.

You will remember that the oncologists nurse failed to order the scans with sedation.  So we went in and it took 8 nurses and a doctor to get the iv in.  That's not the worst part.  The worst part is that they blew out 13 veins before they finally got it in on the 14th try.  1 in his head, two in his neck, and 11 in his arms, wrists, hands, and feet.  Did you get that????  IN HIS HEAD!  AND NECK!  About the time they were sticking him in his neck is when I got really woozy and had to sit straight down on the ground so I wouldn't faint.  Let me tell you...if you never have to see you child get an iv in his head and neck...be thankful.  Jude was completely hysterical.  So was I.  In retrospect, I wish I had told them to stop after try number 3 or so, but I didn't know I could do that.  Instead I let them use my child as a pin cushion for 2 hours.  Aside from when we found out he had cancer, these were some of the worst 2 hours of my entire life.  To see him so terrified and in so much pain...it's heartbreaking and infuriating all at the same time. 

One of the sweet nurses went and bought him an Elmo doll in the gift shop.  He liked that. 

We have not heard yet on the CTs or MIBG.  We have another scan tomorrow.  We are supposed to have all of the bone scans next week but I am going to do some serious praying about what we should do.  I heard from another Mom today whose daughter has cancer and they see an oncologist in Dallas every 4 weeks and LOVE him. 

We left the hospital and came home and I put Jude down for a nap until we had to go back up to the hospital for the MIBG.  Brad got home early and was able to go with us.  That was such a blessing.  Jude is a big-time Daddy's boy so he was so much more at ease with him there.  So was I.
We picked up James from Mom and Dad's and Mom had prepared a delicious dinner and dessert for us to bring home.  It was SO wonderful! 

Jude was so happy to get to spend some time with his big bro.  Jamesie can put Jude in the BEST mood.  I love all the brotherly love.  You would never know this child had been through all he had today!  I, however, am permanently traumatized.
 
Jamesie had a wonderful day with his Nanapie! 
This day was so difficult and emotional.  We were in the same room where they did his scans when we found out he had cancer.  Every single emotion came back as I watched them stick him over and over again while he was terrified and in pain.  The looks he would give me...it ripped my heart out.  I wanted to take it for him or grab him up and walk out.  And the fear of not knowing what the outcome will be.  Is there another tumor?  Is he all clear?  What will the labs show?  Waiting is always so difficult.

Romans 15:13-May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him so you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.  

Comments

bonnie said…
Oh my gosh, that makes me want to cry. Ridiculous that it took them that many tries to get an IV in. I would never want that job, but seriously?! That's terrible. I'm glad it's over and I hope tomorrow will be better. I'm so happy to see him smiling though in the bath pictures...crazy how they can act just fine after such a terrible day! So thankful for that! Talk to you soon...
James Pridmore said…
The verse you used to close this posting, Romans 15:13, is my prayer for you. When things all around you seem to be testing your Peace and Joy, others will see the HOPE that abounds in you.
Dad <><
Anonymous said…
How long will you have to wait to hear something?!? You're such a strong momma, being able to stay in the room and see all of that happening to your baby. You should be proud of yourself. I hope you get good results. Ya'll need a break, I know.
Megan said…
Hang in there sweet girl, the results of clear scans will drown out the horrible pain and memories of yesterday. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Anonymous said…
You are all in my prayers!!!!
Love you!
Linda