Skip to main content

010110

I like how typing the date makes me feel real smart like I am typing a binary code or something.

So how did you spend New Year's Eve? Being the party animals that we are...we did our norm. Hung with James....pj's and in bed by 8...watched a movie...asleep by 10. It's a wild life we lead. We used to be the couple that always threw the parties, now we are the couple that's in bed before the ball drops. It's ok by me though...I love our life.

James gave Brad's boots a try yesterday...
But I think they are longer than his legs...
So he just took them off and put his ducks in them...
Maybe we'll wait to start the cowboy training until after he's fully mastered walking...
Today we went to Mom and Dad's for lunch. Black eyed peas for good luck or whatever...and lots of other yummy stuff.
James uses any excuse he can come up with to go to Nana and Papa's.
Today he was endlessly fascinated by some golf balls Papa got out for him.
Then he decided to play on the stairs.
One of the things I have learned from my sister Christi (the one with 3 little boys) is not to overreact when they fall or run into stuff. That way you don't turn them into little sissies...which is exactly what I would do if left to my own devices. Being a mother of a boy does not come naturally to me...I'm having to learn. But in the process we've discovered that James is actually a very tough little boy. He doesn't fuss much. He doesn't get hurt easily. He bounces back really well. And I do my part and bite my tongue to keep from gasping and running to him every time he stumbles.

Except for today. With me sitting mere inches from him he fell off the bottom step today and hit his head on the corner of the banister thingy. It was hard. And it sounded awful. So I did what my sissified girlie instincts told me to do and snatched him up and cuddled him like he was a newborn fragile baby.

SMACK!

Total overreaction on my part...
Cuddle cuddle cuddle...
Keep cuddling and smothering and mothering even though he's trying to get away...
Look around to see if anyone else feels sorry for me....
See if Mom's still freaking out...Yep...
Get away from Mom in a hurry so I can keep being a boy...
I'll work on that tough love tomorrow. I'm feeling too girlie today. I'm going to go dress him in a fancy little smocked outfit with cute little knee socks and a bonnet...like the one I brought him home from the hospital in.
The one that I didn't find out until 2 weeks ago that my husband hates.
The one that took both of us to dress him in...
Because we were so totally inept as parents...
Totally unprepared...(you can even tell I have a stupid look on that half of my face)
The nurses stood by and laughed at us...
"Look at the stupid people trying to dress that poor baby..." they opined.
"Yeh...in a fancypants outfit no less..." they quipped.
But look how precious!They have all their lives to be rugged rough and tumble little boys. You can only dress them in fancy smocked outfits for a short little bit (never if Brad had anything to say about it...but he doesn't).

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hahahahahaha!!! You are TOO funny!!

I have to say I'm with Brad...I hate the fancy pants outfits. I love dressing Laird like he's a grown up man!

Laird is super tough, too. He falls everyday - not as much as he used to though...hard to believe he has been walking for nearly 5 months! He hardly ever cries...unless he's angry. Tantrums are a daily thing now. *sigh*