Skip to main content

Parenting Isn't For Sissies

I got an email from my sweet friend Erin yesterday regarding different discipline issues. We had our little boys about 6 weeks apart and are dealing with some of the same issues. She sent this email out to 4 or 5 of her friends and I asked her if she would mind sharing their responses with me as well as I am always game for some good mommy advice.

I don't know any of the other girls that she sent this email to but she was kind enough to share their insights with me. I was struck by the similarities in all of our thoughts and ideas on discipline. But I was also pleasantly surprised to see that we all have, or are, struggling with a lot of the same things. That was so comforting to me.

Here are some of the thoughts and ideas I gleaned from their emails that are helpful for me at the stage James is at:
-Don't let your child know you are feeling out of control
-Lots of kisses and hugs after disciplining
-As for tantrums, step over them and leave, even shut the door
-If he throws food on the floor, take the food tray away and talk to your husband (or whomever)
-Be consistent and in control of your own emotions
-During tantrums, "ignore the bad but let him decide to cut the crap"
-Toddlers have tantrums to test the water, they can't communicate very well so they take it out on the ground
-Do not say you are sorry to the child for disciplining, you are not sorry. Tell him you love him and some things are a no-no
-Tantrums are worse when the child is tired or hungry

Erin has some smart friends...and so is she. She is a wonderful mother to her darling little Laird.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Awww!! I love you! :)

Aren't those girls great?