Skip to main content

Every Captive Thought

That's the title of my blog...but have I ever told you where it comes from? It comes from 2 Corinthians 10:5 which says, "We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." Another version says, "...we capture our rebellious thoughts and teach them to obey Christ." I love that because I struggle with that...capturing my rebellious thoughts and making them obedient to Christ and what He wants me to think about...about myself, about others, about Him.

It makes me ask...what DOES He want me to think about? Wellllll...Philippians 4:8 says, "Finally, brothers (and us sistas too!), whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." So I am supposed to think about what is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy. Whew. Easy, right? No, not always. Not when you have as many "rebellious thoughts" as I do, not when your baby is sick, not when you are stressed out by your circumstances, not when you have PMS, not when you lose someone you love, not when there is war, not when you are in a wreck, not when there is a crummy economy, not when you lose your job, not when someone hurts you, not when someone you love has cancer, not when you hate your job, not when...not when...not when. But...that is what He tells us to do...think about such things. So I will try to "take captive every thought"...every single thought...and make it obedient to HIM and to what HE wants me to think about. Even when it sucks. Even when it's hard. Even when I don't want to. Even when I don't feel like I should have to.

Is this true? Is this noble? Is this right? Is this pure? Is this lovely? Is this admirable? Is this excellent? Is this praiseworthy? These are the things that I want my thoughts held captive by. And these things are the acid test against which all of my thoughts should be approved.

I want every part of me...even my thoughts...to be pleasing to the Lord. I fail miserably everyday. Every. Single. Day. But that is the beauty of having a SAVIOR! He knows I am a colossal screw up and He loves me anyways and forgives me anyways. Thank goodness.

And since I don't post without a picture....I think this falls under the categories of right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy, right? And this falls under the category of cute neck wrinkles and chubby cheeks.And p.s. Brad...sorry so long.

Comments