Skip to main content

YAMS


My very best memories from my childhood are of my mom singing. She was always singing and she sang beautifully. She still sings all the time and I love it. There was constantly music in our house. I would come home from school and she would have the windows open and music going and be singing and serving up a yummy after school "sussy". Some of the favorites were The Carpenters, Captain and Tenielle, Dolly Parton, Anne Murray, & John Denver. But that smell of the windows being open in a house...I love it. Anytime I smell it, it triggers that memory.



I guess I grew up thinking that was the norm...that every one's mom was a cheerful-singing-sussy-making-delight of a mom. I know that is not true and it makes me all the more thankful for my mom. She was a stay-at-home mom and what a gift to my sisters and me! No matter what was going on, she was singing and cheerful. To this day, I have never seen my parents fight. I know they must have, they just never did it in front of us. I heard that "fighting in front of your children changes who they will become". What a great example my parents set!


Our favorite song was Anne Murray's version of "You Are My Sunshine". It was on a children's tape that we got when I was about 5 or so. We listened to that tape hundreds of times. To this day, when we write an email or card to each other, we sign it "Y.A.M.S.".


I recently made a cd of all of those old favorites and have listened to them over and over. I noticed one day when I was singing Dolly's "9 to 5" (don't judge...it's catchy!) James was laughing. Was he laughing at my singing? At the song? At my snappy dance moves? I hope the poor child isn't scarred.


Anyways, I pray that I can, like my mom, have a cheerful heart (Proverbs 15:13, 15:15) and fill James' life with happiness, security, love, singing, and sussies.

Comments