Skip to main content

That SUCKED!

It just has to be said. It did. It flat out sucked...big time.

So today was EEG day. We had no earthly idea what to expect. And what we got was far worse than I had anticipated. First of all...they told us to wake James up at 5:00 a.m. to sleep deprive him so he would fall asleep during the EEG. Well...that didn't even come close to sleep deprivation. I think it just made him mad more than anything.

We went into this little room with a big comfy chair and cartoons. The technician stuck 40million little sticky gluey gummy things all over James' precious little head. I was surprised to see him handle it so well. He didn't try to yank them off or anything. He was a real champ.

THEN...she turned off the lights and closed the door and we waited for him to go to sleep. Or not. He started screaming bloody dadgum murder. And his tears kept making 4 of the little electrode thingys come off...because that stupid gooey glue they put them on with is water-soluble. So she kept having to open the door, come back in, turn on the lights, mess with his head, turn the lights back off, close the door, and on and on this went several times. That topped off with Brad getting work phone calls, another technician coming in and out to get supplies out of the room, me having to get up to go to the restroom, the other technician person coming in and out and messing with James, & us trying to feed him a bottle...did NOT make for a perfect sleeping environment. At. All. We even called in our sure-fire happy-maker. We recruited Nana to come in and help. I thought that would for sure work. Nana can always calm him down. That is unless he has a head full of electrodes and strange people swarming around him. It would have taken a tranquilizer dart to calm him down.
So after 47 minutes of trying to get him to stop wailing...which by the way...was RIPPING the heart right out of my chest...they told us that we would have to reschedule and keep him up longer. SO lucky me...tomorrow night I get to keep him up until 12:00 (his normal bedtime is around 7:30 or 8:00) and then let him sleep until 3:00 and then keep him up until his EEG at 8:00 Thursday morning. Lovely.

I am going to go by myself with James and try to keep things more calm. No cartoons, no phone calls, no bottles, & no potty breaks.

I am wondering what the Lord is trying to teach me in all of this??? I'm not sure yet. But I do still trust Him. I know that everything that happens, happens for a reason and He will use it for good in my life. I trust Him to do that. I trust Him to "use these trials to humble me and perfect my faith and produce in me the quality of endurance".

Today's Psalm..."The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. In my distress I called to the Lord; I cried to my God for help. From His temple He heard my voice; my cry came before Him, into His ears. He reached down from on high and took hold of me; He drew me out of the deep waters." Psalm 18: 2, 6, 16

I thank Him in advance for how this is going to turn out.

This is James after a nap. He emptied out his diaper bag for me...all over the kitchen. I love how well he rebounds from a bad day! I wish I was that resilient!

Comments

Melanie Lyons said…
I'm so sorry it went the way it did. I had to have several of those when I was a kid and had to be kept up all night. Not fun. Will continue to pray for you and James. He is adorable! I enjoy reading your blog.