Skip to main content

The Elves Are On Their Own This Year

This was a really productive Friday. A little laundry. A little cleaning. A little Christmas shopping. A little gift wrapping. A little organization. A little parade. But we'll get to that awesomeness in a minute.

One of my favorite things is when Jamesie comes up behind me and hugs me. It is so precious.Such a little love bug.Then he wanted to help me feed Jude.James is a very subsuming child when it comes to Puppy. He likes for him to experience all that life has to offer. If he is looking out the window, he lets Puppy look out the window. If I comb his hair, I have to comb Puppy's hair. So it was only fair that Puppy got to help feed Jude too.Speaking of Puppy. We now have a litter. We are up to THREE! Let me explain. I am tremendously afraid that we are going to run out of Puppies which would truly be a tragedy since James loves them so much. Brad bought the first one when we found out we were having James. My sister bought the second one for his first birthday. My Mom bought the third one for Christmas last year. And another one for Christmas this year. My plan was to only break out the new one when the old one had completely worn out. Well, that happened but he still likes to keep the ratty ones around and I don't have the heart to take them away. I think this is clearly my sickness and not his. Hmmm. I need therapy. By the way...their noses are so nasty because that is the part he likes to chew on...and yes I wash them. Their tails are the same way.

Ok...so my friend Michelle and I had planned to go to the Christmas light parade downtown tonight with our husbands and kids. Unfortunately her little guy got sick at the last minute and didn't get to come and she stayed home with him.

I really thought it was going to be a lot cooler out than it was so I bundled everyone up. Jude was NOT amused.But George was.If I had a warm bear suit for James I would've made him wear it too. He lucked out.I wanted to get a cute picture of the boys together before we left but James was oddly fascinated by his mittens.What the heck kid?? I dress your brother in a polar bear outfit and he can manage to look at the camera and smile...I give you mittens and you go all narcotized on me. Ok...so I've lived here since 1986 and I had never been to the Christmas light parade until tonight. Therefore I didn't know that you had to be early. I thought that 6:00-8:00 was just a loose suggestion. I don't know what time people started getting there but 6:30 was too late. Yall, we missed the ENTIRE parade! I'm not even kidding. Here is what we saw.A fire truck! That's it! We can see that outside the Wal-Mart. I didn't need to drive downtown and wade through 20,000 people to see that. What a bummer! (For the record, I have no idea how many people were actually there...it just seemed like a lot since I was wearing the baby backpack and lugging around a baby polar bear and trying to keep up with Brad and the stroller AND dodge all of the kids with those menacing glow sticks...why glow sticks??? What do glow sticks have to do with Christmas? Are they all going to a rave after the parade?)James wanted to make sure Puppy saw the fire truck.In an attempt to salvage the evening for the kids, I suggested we walk on over to see the mayor light the Christmas tree.What a pilgrimage! I didn't realize how far it was. Baby polar bears get flippin heavy after awhile. I felt like totally 3 months ago when I was huge and pregnant. Thomas carried Taylor on his shoulders the whole way while she ate animal crackers. Props to him. I could barely type that without tripping.Much to my delight...when we got there, all of the floats were in the parking lot so we got to see them all up close. Whew! Glad it wasn't a total bust.They were really cute.This adorable little gingerbread girl was yelling "run, run as fast as you can, you can't catch me I'm the gingerbread man" except when I was making her pose for a picture. Sweet little thing!Obviously Jude was thrilled by it all...since all he could see was my sweater.While we were waiting for the Christmas tree lighting, you will never guess who showed up!!!?!?! Santa Claus. But this was the most morbid, odd, possibly drunk, Santa ever. For reals. He started out his VERY LONG speech by saying, "We've suffered a lot of tragedy this year...". I'm not kidding! I thought to myself, "is this an imaginative story about some elf tragedy at the North Pole or something?" but NO! He went on for 10 minutes about the Vietnam war..complete with a moment of silence. I'm serious. Ask anyone who was there. Kids were crying. It was brutal. Why Santa, why? Where has your Christmas spirit gone? Whatever happened to "Ho ho ho, Merry Christmas!!!!" Methinks Santa may have come from the corner of I-40 and Soncy...if you know what I mean.James was traumatized. Santa actually talked about his friends that came back from the war in a pine box. Way to spread the holiday cheer Santa. You're on the naughty list. Brad and I kept looking around for Candid Camera. Seriously we thought it had to be a prank. But no.

Then there was some music. I'm not sure if it was Christmas music or not...I didn't recognize any of it.But James thought it had a good beat and could dance to it.

We left after a few songs because James was falling asleep and I was scared we would bump into Santa in a dark alley if we hung around any later. So we didn't get to see the Christmas tree lighting but we did learn some valuable lessons.

1- This city takes their Christmas light parade seriously...go early.

2-I don't miss being pregnant.

3-Santa needs a 12 step program and a halfway house.

For all of it's flaws, it really was fun and I am glad we went. The lights were pretty and Brad and I got a good laugh out of Santa.

Comments

Peanut said…
I would have loved to be able to tell you to go early. :( We always go about 5:30, eat there, watch the parade and then go home...we've never been to the tree lighting...now I'm sure we never will. :) There's always next year!! Love your blog and sense of humor girl!
Kristi Kelly said…
Oh my goodnes, that was the funniest blog post I have read EVER!!! I LOVED Jude's polar bear suit and James and his dancing moves:) Love your funny adventures:)
The Tonkin's said…
You crack me up! I'm sitting here laughing my head off at your blog about the parade! I thought Thomas was funny, but he didn't have a story like this for the parade! I've enjoyed reading and looking at your blog tonight!