Skip to main content

Best Laid Plans

What a day! Whew! I am thankful it is over. I think that this is for sure the busiest day I've ever had in my life. Well...at least in my pregnant life.

First off this morning I had an appointment with my ob...just a typical weight, heartbeat, measurement, blood pressure kind of ob appointment. And I took James with me which always adds an element of excitement to any situation. Usually these appointments take about 10 minutes and I'm out of there. Yeh...not s'much today. I had to wait for an hour before seeing the doc...which usually I would be totally fine with because I assume he is seeing to some woman who is in labor and I would want him to make his non-laboring patients wait if it was me. But today I had a very important appointment scheduled for James from 1:30-3:30 and I had it planned just right so I could slip in his nap after my appointment and before his. But that's just life...it seldom works out like you plan.

But then the doc drops the bomb on me and my already frazzled nerves that he needs me to get a sonogram immediately because he needs to see the baby's face.

WHAT?!?!?!?!

If you know me you know that I am totally relaxed and laid back about everything. Or not. I am the most tightly wound person I know. Or at least I was today. So this news did not set well. I asked him what was wrong and in his typical-very-laid-back-don't-freak-out-the-pregnant-woman fashion, he said, "nothing, just need to see the face". But there's no fooling me. After 14 years of going to this man I knew something was up. He's stingy with his sonograms. You get 2 and that's it unless something's wrong. I set up the appointment for 4:00...which means that I would be driving 90 miles per hour to make it there after James' appointment ends. I left with my nerves completely frazzled and thinking the worst.

So I got in the car and called his nurse. She, bless her heart, did nothing to reassure me. So I called everyone else to make sure they all got whipped into the same frenzy I was in. Not really...I just wanted them to be praying.

I threw a happy meal to James on the way home and got him in bed and hoped he would at least get a 30 minute nap before his appointment.One Puppy in each arm seemed to do the trick.

The Lord helped me to focus on James and his appointment but it didn't end until 3:45. My sweet Mom was waiting for me in the parking lot so I could throw James to her and go to my appointment. Brad and I made it there just in time.

The sonogram tech told me what I had feared...my doctor wanted to see his face to check for a cleft palate. I can tell you this-from the time those words left her lips until the time she got that sonogram thing on his face-time completely stopped. But everything looked perfect! Thank you Lord! He is measuring one week further along and she assured me he is going to be a bigger baby than James was. He weighs 2 pounds and 10 ounces right now. And he has very chubby cheeks. He also seemed somewhat bored in there as evidenced by several yawns.I went to Mom and Dad's and James was playing happily with his cousins. I'm so thankful he was oblivious to my all-day-pandemonium. He was as peaceful and content as he could be all snuggled up with his Nana and Brock.I am so thankful to the Lord that both of my boys are healthy and that this day is behind me. About 12:00 today I really didn't know if this day was going to have a happy ending or not. But it did and I am so thankful.

Aside from my thankfulness that Jude is ok, I guess my thoughts on this day are this: that no matter how much I plan and schedule and fret...it doesn't change what the Lord has planned. It matters to Him that I trust Him, pray, and read His word. Only He knows the future. And it's better that way.

Ecclesiastes 7:14-When times are good, you should be cheerful; when times are bad, think what it means. God makes them both to keep us from knowing what will happen next.

Comments

Celee said…
I'm glad you made it through your day and that everything is ok! I hope today is uneventful!