Skip to main content

Tuna...Not Just For Opossums

Since I'm pregnant and have pretty much given up on sleeping...and since I've been up since 4:00 this morning with nothing to do but blog...I thought I would tell you about a scrumptious recipe I tried last night.

Brad is a health-nut. I am not. But he has been telling me that we need to eat more fish. So being the submissive and sweet wife that I am (don't hurt yourself laughing too hard), I complied. Seeing as how we live in the Texas panhandle, I am a bit skeptical about how fresh the fish is around here. But off to the market I went and got two fat tuna steaks and prayed they weren't old and rotten and riddled with mercury.I guess I had tuna on the brain since seeing the opossum's rabid love for the StarKist.

So here is the recipe:

Seared Tuna on Fettuccine with Green Olive Tapenade and Spinach

12 ounces fettuccine
1 small jar green olive tapenade spread (about 6 ounces)
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 teaspoons grated lemon peel, divided
4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 5-ounce package baby spinach
2 12-ounce tuna steaks, each about 1 inch thick
4 teaspoons marjoram

Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking liquid. Return pasta to pot. Add olive tapenade spread, 2 teaspoons lemon peel, lemon juice, and enough cooking liquid to coat. Season with salt and generous amount of pepper. Mix in spinach, which will wilt slightly.

Meanwhile, brush each tuna steak with 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sprinkle both sides of tuna steaks evenly with marjoram and remaining 2 teaspoons lemon peel; press gently to adhere.

Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add tuna; sear until crusty and brown outside but still pink inside, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer tuna to work surface; slice thinly. Divide pasta among plates; top with tuna slices.



It was yummy and will be "added to the rotation" per Brad's request. I did this recipe exactly and it was way too much. This would easily serve 4 or 5. I will probably cut it in half next time.

Comments