Skip to main content

A Mother's Day Present To Me

I worked in the Vine up at church tonight. (The Vine is our church's bookstore/resource center/gift shop). They had a special section up for Mother's day and I saw this Karen Kingsbury book. So when things died down I read it. And I cried. OH boy is this one a tear-jerker. Just the title, Let Me Hold You Longer, was enough to get me teary. Anyways, the book talks about how we always think about all of the "firsts"...first tooth, first step, first words, etc...but taking time to start thinking about the lasts....last time he sleeps with his tattered teddy bear, last time he is able to jump in your arms and be held, last time he sleeps between mommy and daddy in bed. *sniff sniff*

So being the pregnant emotional train-wreck that I am...I heard him still awake and making small talk with Puppy in his bed when I got home and I slipped in to see him. This is not something that happens very often around here. It is strictly forbidden to go into his room after he's been put down. We've broken the rules a FEW times...very few...and only for very important reasons. But I thought I could since I'm the mom and it is Mother's day weekend and the book made me cry and and and...well...because I wanted to. So there.

So I went in, picked him up and sat on his bed with him. He snuggled for the longest time. And James is not a snuggly boy so I soaked up every second of it for about 20 minutes. He would sit up and look at me and press his forehead against mine and babble to me, then lay back down. It was precious. A mother's day present to myself.

And I would've sat there all night except for that I was hungry and my Dad had dropped off some of my Mom's homemade chicken and dumplings and they had started calling to me.

So anyways...if you are a Mommy, read this book. It is super-sweet. And Happy Mother's Day to YOU!

Comments