Skip to main content

My How Things Have Changed

I was reminiscing with my Mom today about how prepared I was for James. I had diapers and wipes stocked up for months. I am just now using the last bottle of baby shampoo I bought...two years later. I had tons of precious outfits all cleaned and ready to go months in advance. I had the car seat professionally installed. I had my hospital bag packed weeks before James was due. I preregistered at the hospital. I had meals made up and put in the freezer. I made sure the cameras were always charged. I made Brad a list of names to call and put it in his wallet. I programmed our doctors number into his cell phone. James' room was painted, decorated and furnished before the end of my 2nd trimester. I wanted everything to be perfect for him and it pretty much was.

Here was his sweet little room painstakingly and perfectly painted by his Daddy.And here are James and I the night he was born.Can you believe how tiny??? Me neither. Oh I could just eat him up!

Cut to two years later, a busy toddler, an unfinished move to a new house, contractions that limit my activity, and exhaustion...and here is what I have done for Jude.I've opened the tubs of baby stuff and looked at it. That's pretty much it. "Yep...it's all there. That'll do."

I've bought one new outfit for Jude. ONE! That's it! No hospital bag packed. No preregistering. No perfectly stripped room. No baby shampoo. And I don't even have a clue where the car seat is.

But I am sure it will all work out just fine. He is every bit as loved and joyfully anticipated as his older brother was. He just has a tired and much busier Mommy.

Comments

Celee said…
I've been buying some clothes because after Mia I gave away all our baby boy clothes and I only had a couple of 6-12 and mostly 12-18 for Wyatt. It's been fun buying for a baby boy again. I know what you mean about it being different, though. I need to order an arm's reach co-sleeper as we've decided the new baby will room with us for a while. Just today I had a thought that I really should re-do our room. Don't know if there's enough time, but I may give it a try.

Can't wait to meet Jude!

Celee
Sarah Hammer said…
it will all come together. after having 4 babies, it seemed that there was less and less done to prepare for each one. but we all survived somehow. it just shows you have changed and matured and realized some things are really important, and while some things are really nice...not as important!
apryl said…
let me just give you one little heads up...when we finally got the carseat into the car because we decided to have a c-section scheduled we forgot that Jax was a year old when we put it in the attic and Lauryn would be all of 6#'s. So remember to adjust the straps back to the smallest size BEFORE the minute you are supposed to leave and the transport guy is standing there staring at you and you have NOT ONE CLUE how to make the dang thing fit a newborn again....ughgghgh!!!!!! (I;m just sayin)