Skip to main content

Scans

I'm glad today is done and Judie Bug is sound asleep and resting well.  Because I am early everywhere I go, Jude and I made it to the hospital in record time...an hour early.  I just wasn't sure about the traffic after yesterday.  But it is a good thing we were early because the first appointment of the day didn't show up and we got their spot! 
In the waiting room
 

Lately I have noticed a little eye and facial drooping on Jude.  I called the hospital yesterday and left a message for the oncologist to see if she might want to add some scans to the list today since Jude would already be sedated.  Thankfully, she got the message in time and was able to get the extra scans added for his head and neck.  That more than doubled our time at the hospital today.  We were there from 7-1:30.  However, I am so grateful they were able to accommodate us and add on the extra scans.  I am the only one who was grateful though.

They put the parents in the recovery rooms all down this one hall while we wait for our kiddos.  The walls are very thin so you can pretty much hear everything everyone is talking about.  Well, apparently Jude's extra scans threw off the schedule for the day by a lot.  I heard 3 different parents complaining.  Two of which were yelling at the poor, sweet nurses.  I felt terrible.  The lady in the room next to me was there with her son who had a broken leg.  She laid into some hospital management person and told him exactly what he could "shove in his suggestion box".  Ouch.  I was horrified!  I was so close to going next door to relieve him but I was scared of her.  She sounded mean.  And I'm not as quick on my feet these days with all the extra baby weight.  He (hospital guy) calmly explained the situation to her and she told him that we are the ones that should have had to wait if it isn't life or death.  (Ummmm...yeh...it kind of is seeing as how it is CANCER!!!!)  Oh my gosh she was so awful.  She said she was prepared to wait for 30 minutes but that this was ridiculous.  30 minutes!?!?!?!?  You have GOT to be kidding me.  Head on up to the oncology clinic and wait for 5 hours then see how you feel, lady.

Anyways, I felt terrible for the nurses who were having to put up with the mess and they felt bad for me who had to sit and listen to everyone be mad about my baby. 

Speaking of the sweet nurses, they were constantly checking on me.  I curled up on the miniature sized bench in our room and fell asleep.  (Seriously...it's tiny...like it belongs in Barbie's Dream House. I had to drag over some chairs to accommodate the extra body parts that were hanging over the edges.)  At some point one of the nurses brought in 3 warm blankets and covered me up.  Heaven!  It was so nice.

One of our nurses, Kathy, put Jude's IV in.  ON THE FIRST TRY.  Back in October we had our last round of scans that we will ever do in Amarillo because of this. I was telling Kathy they had to stick him 14 times to get an IV in.  She was horrified.  She said, "They aren't a children's hospital, are they?"  Clearly.  She said they have a rule that they can only stick a child twice but they always get it on the first try.  Jude was not so thrilled with his IV though.
He found ways to destroy the room while we waited in spite of his "boxing glove".
It took several hours but Jude finally came back from all of his scans and woke up MUCH better than last time.  It was a world of difference.  I talked to the anesthesiologist about how cranky he was last time and he worked some kind of anesthesiology magic and Jude woke up like a little ray of sunshine.

I had planned on staying in our room all afternoon to let Jude sleep it off but he didn't need to!  So I took the opportunity to go to the mall. It was like the mother ship calling me home.  I made friends with Dallas and all her traffic and inexplicable road construction and 200jillion different highways and made it all the way to the mall (9 miles away) in record time.  It took me over an hour to get back to the hotel though because of my absolute inability to remember that there is such a thing as 5:00 traffic around here.

The ladies at Williams Sonoma gave Jude a sucker.  He was a big fan.  But oh my gosh...I could have thrown him up against a wall and he would've stuck to it by the time he was done.  He was covered in a strawberry flavored glue.

Jude did great until we sat down to eat at La Madeleine.  He was done.
We headed back to the hotel and Jude fell asleep in the car.
Of course it was just enough of a little cat nap to get him good and wired.
But it was ok because he needed a good long soak to get all of the strawberry suckery stickiness off of him.
Tomorrow we go in for clinic and will hear the results of Jude's scans.  We will also have his labs done.  I hope we are done early enough that I can swing by and pick up James from Care Care and drive home.  I miss Brad.

James had a fabulous day from what I hear.  He slept until 7:45 which I don't think he has done ever before in his whole life.
I love those puffy morning eyes!
He also got to go to the botanical gardens.  I'm jealous.
I miss my little Jamesie and can't wait to see him tomorrow.  Although, I don't think he is going to want to leave Care Care's.  She is way more fun than I am.

Thank you for your prayers today for Jude.  I am so grateful to the Lord that we were able to add on the extra scans at the last minute and that Jude tolerated the sedation so much better this time.

Comments

Steph said…
if dallas wasnt so stinkin far my hormonally unbalanced pregnant self would have LOVED to gone down there and given that terrible lady a piece of my mind!!!! and enjoyed a trip to the mall with you of course :)
I'm so sorry you had to listen to that lady complain; you did much better about holding your tongue than I think I would've been able to. Your story is a reminder to me that we never know what is going on with someone else and that we shouldn't grumble and complain because someone ALWAYS has it worse. I'm glad your baby did so much better this time. His little face in the one picture is just pitiful! Continued prayers your way that all is okay with the scans and labs.
Sarah Hammer said…
oh my word. i guess its a good thing i didnt go with you. because i would have done a little more than stand up for you on that one. Jesus knew what he was doing when me being there didnt happen. im getting my ghetto voice just talking about it.