Skip to main content

Judie Buggy Boo Boo

I took Jude to see Dr. Honey today for his 18 month well-check.  Ironically, it is exactly one year to the day of his 6 month well-check when Dr. Honey found his tumor...in the Candy Land room...I will never forget.  We didn't know it was a tumor at the time...at least I didn't.  All we knew was that we would be taking him to the hospital the next day for a sonogram to see what was going on.  That was a long, sleepless, worry-filled night.  The worst was yet to come.  And deep down, Brad and I both knew it.

But today was his 18 month well-check.  A full year later.  A year ago I didn't know if Jude would be alive.  Today Dr. Honey and I sat across from each other with Jude between us and we were both a little teary.  What a year.  He is doing so well and I am so grateful to the Lord.  He is in the 10th percentile for his weight and 75th for height.  Dr. Honey still hasn't heard from the oncologists in Dallas so we haven't been able to clear up the protocol issues.  I will try to get in touch with them tomorrow.  It is possible that I was given the wrong protocol last year by the Amarillo oncologist...wouldn't be his only mistake.  Anyhow, we will get that cleared up soon.

Jude also has Bell's Palsy from being sick so often for so long.  We are starting him on steroids to clear that up and will see Dr. Honey once a week to keep an eye on it.  We will also be taking Jude to an audiologist and speech therapist.  He is not talking and apparently he should be. It's funny, but once you've walked down the cancer road with your child a little facial paralysis and speech delay is no big deal.  Here's the deal with his speech...he is spoiled because he has cancer.  He is spoiled and I will make absolutely no apologies for that.  He doesn't have to use his words to ask for anything because we just get it for him.  He also has a tremendously loquacious older brother that wouldn't let him get a word in even if he did talk.  Jude will talk in his own good time.  Not worried about it.  And I'm not going to stop spoiling him.
Brad and I decided that tomorrow is going to be all about Jude.  Let's start making some good memories on March 23rd.

Comments

This post made me tear up; I just had my little one at the doctor yesterday for an ear infection. I could not imagine also finding out there was more going on. That little boy is just SO cute!