Skip to main content

Jude Day

Today was a great day...now known around our house as "Jude Day". We celebrated how far Jude has come in the last year.  He got his favorite breakfast of donut holes and favorite dinner of pizza.  He also got this from James.
We spent a lot of this beautiful day playing outside. 

There were so many times today that I would look at my watch and think back to what we were doing 1 year ago...12:00 sonogram, 1:00 Dr. Ross tells us it's cancer, 2:00 CT, 3:00 Dr. Honey's office to discuss plan, 4:00 admitted to hospital, 8:00 signing papers about death, chemo, organ donation, etc, 10:00 looking at CT with oncologist...up all night praying and crying curled up with Brad on a tiny cot.  It was absolutely the worst day of our lives.  But today we praised the Lord for how well Jude is doing, for the things we've learned along the way, for the friends we've made because of this, for drawing us closer as a family, for sharpening our focus on the kind of parents we want to be, and for drawing us closer to the Lord and teaching us to depend only on Him...He is our only refuge and strength in the storm.  Never will He leave us, never will He forsake us.

I went back and read some of my blog from those days one year ago and I guess it is still too hard...or too fresh...or maybe I just don't want to go back to that place today.  I am just so grateful to be where we are...with Jude alive and thriving.  I didn't think this is where we would be but by the sweet grace of God, here we are.  I am confident that I will soon be able to say that "Jude is cancer free!"  That day we will celebrate.
Jude one year ago
Jude today
Hebrews 13:5-6-...God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."  So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper, I will not be afraid."...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Congratulations on how far you've come in a year!! So much to be thankful for!!!

For me, it would be too soon to go back and look at the past, too. The scary feelings and uncertainty you felt back then shouldn't overshadow a celebration day like today! There will be plenty of time in the future to reflect. :o)