Skip to main content

Hospital Visit

You know James has been sick for the past few weeks with a cough and ear infection in both ears. He got through one antibiotic and wasn't really any better. I took him back to the doctor and he got on another round of antibiotics, a steroid and singulair. Then Friday, at the doctor's office AGAIN, he started having some major diarrhea issues. I wasn't able to get him to eat or drink anything all day and from noon until about 5:00 he had about 14 majorly bad diapers.

So that means he got a trip to the hospital.

Brad had left town to go help my brother-in-law up in the mountains when I called him and asked him to turn around and come home because James was being admitted to the hospital.

My Mom was out of town visiting my sister so my friend Lorraine was with me and helped me get admitted, get to the room, and answer the 50million questions that I was half-way incapable of answering because I was so upset about James.

Brad got there and Lorraine stayed with us through getting the iv put in. She knew that was going to be a traumatic experience for all of us. I can say that nothing has ever broken my heart more for James. It was awful.

He was obsessed with it once it was done though.Obsessed and a little freaked out.

He was all too happy to show me when I said, "Show me your boo-boo so I can take a picture."That night in the hospital was not a restful night. Are they ever? Between the nurses, respiratory therapists and heaven only knows who else coming in EVERY TWO HOURS none of us got any sleep.

But the next morning, James was feeling a little better. He was so happy when they disconnected him from the iv stand even though they left the port in his hand.Still a little obsessed and protective, he definitely wanted to make sure we had a good picture of it.

He enjoyed his new found freedom and did some dancing for us.He's got his Daddy's smooth moves. And awesome fashion sense.

Later, Belle the therapy dog, came in to say "Hi". James was thrilled. And I have to say, so were Brad and I. We were SO bored.Late that afternoon we got another very welcomed visitor...NANA! James was beyond elated to see Nana walk through the door and so was I. She came home and got to the hospital just in time for the trauma of having the iv port removed and his last breathing treatment. It was not pleasant and Brad and I were thankful to have her there to help calm James down.

James is still having a few poop issues butt aside from that I think he's on the mend. I hope. At least he is drinking plenty and eating fairly well.

Hopefully the next hospital visit will be a joyful one.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Funny play on words there!
Snuzi said…
Thanks Anonymous.
Anonymous said…
How is James now? I can imagine how terrified you were - poor little guy!!

Do you think maybe his system is messed up from being on so many antibiotics?