Skip to main content

Doomsday?

So I was sitting in the doctor's office waiting room this morning when a woman across from me said, "Well, we're still here!"  Huh?  I had no clue what she was talking about as we had not been waiting long.  I smiled and said, "Yes.  We are still here."  Then quickly looked back at my phone hoping she would think I was in on whatever she was talking about.  Didn't work.  She said, "You know! The world didn't end!"  "Oh!  No. No it did not end."  Look back at phone because I don't know if she's for reals or not.  Thankfully she got called back and I smiled and said, "Merry Christmas!"  I think that is a universally understood comment. 

But it was my doomsday for another reason.  I went to bed last night relatively certain I would be going back to the hospital today for a little complication with the hysterectomy.  So I was sitting in the waiting room bright and early this morning waiting to see my doctor.  I get the big shakes when I get nervous...you know the ones that shake your whole body uncontrollably.  So I was in there shaking away, shook all the way down the hall to the exam room and shook the whole way through the exam.  When I heard the rubber gloves snap off and my doc told me he took care of things and everything was going to be ok, won't have to go back to the hospital, I cannot tell you how grateful and relieved I was...and still am.  Thank You Lord!  He told me that I really do need to take it easy and rest while things are still healing.  No one seems to grasp how impossible that is to do when you have 3 small children.  This IS me taking it easy!  So I guess I will try to take it easier...whatever that means.  So if you ever have a da vinci robotic hysterectomy and you feel amazingly good after a couple of weeks...DO NOT go shopping, stand on your feet all day baking, chase your 3 kids around, sweep and mop, and/or race your 4 year old to the mailbox.  Who knew. 

Brad, James and I are all feeling a little under the weather and I have a feeling Jude isn't far behind.  I missed out on Thanksgiving and I really do not want to miss out on Christmas too.  I am pleading with the Lord to heal this family!  Brad and I started antibiotics today and I will see what tomorrow brings for the boys.  I want health for this family.

On another subject...I always have a moral struggle with the whole Santa thing.  I don't want to pull my children's attention away from Jesus.  Brad and I decided on the holiday issues before we ever even had children and decided unanimously that we wouldn't mislead them down the Santa Claus road but stick to the real reason for Christmas.  So, that being said, we talk with the kids about Santa being a fictional character, who the real St. Nicholas was, and most importantly about JESUS and why we celebrate His precious birth.  This year it has brought a flurry of questions from Jamesie.  Like, "If Santa isn't real then why does he talk?"  "Why do I have to keep it a secret?"  "Why do we get presents if it's Jesus' birthday?"  Anyways, Penny sent me THIS ARTICLE that really helped me wrap my mind around the importance of this stance and Brad and I plan to implement a few of her great ideas next year.  Take it or leave it.  It's just what we've chosen.  And from the bottom of my heart I sincerely hope that my kid isn't the one that bursts your kids Santa bubble. 

By the way, James is also in on the Elf thing.  He knows he's not magic and he knows he doesn't fly to the North Pole every night to rat out children to Santa...or whatever it's supposed to be about.  He figured that one out all on his own.  I'm so proud.

It's not that we don't want them to know about Santa at all.  I don't care about that.  We have Santa movies and a couple of Santa decorations on the tree.  But James knows that he is just another fictional character.  And that JESUS is what Christmas is about.  Not Santa.

Here is another article that my Mom forwarded me that is a great explanation about St. Nicholas.  So sweet.

I'm looking forward to this (healthy) Christmas and I pray yours is blessed as well.

Comments