Skip to main content

What A Day

Jude and I leave tomorrow for Dallas and I am dreading it.  I spent the entire day getting ready.  I got a call this afternoon from Children's Medical Center with a problem with our insurance.  It took me several hours to get it all worked out...several hours that I really didn't have to spare today.  In the end...the girl I was talking to at the hospital was wrong and I was right.  (That doesn't happen very often).  She put up a good fight though.  It was like she just wanted me to have to pay a ton of extra money...as if it was going directly into her pocket.  When I finally got her to understand that our insurance was going to cover his scans she said, "Well, you will still have a bill for the anesthesia!"  Ok...so I guess I just need to know that Teresa at Children's wants to make sure I have a big fat bill to take home with me, one way or the other.  Because that is what every mother of a child with cancer wants to deal with...on top of the thousands of dollars of medical bills we are already paying.  I hope she went to bed happy tonight. 

Then I wanted to make a quick call to the cell phone company to ask why I am not getting all of my emails on my phone.

There is NO SUCH THING as a quick call to the cell phone company.

After the guy who was totally annoyed that he was having to talk to a frazzled, technologically un-savvy, mother with kids screaming in the background totally screwed up my phone, he just gave me the number for Apple and told me to call them...making it perfectly and painfully clear that he didn't have time to walk me through the basics of being an iPhone owner.  Wish I had done that in the first place because I got this adorable, sweet, patient, kind girl who walked me through the whole terrible process of updating, restoring, backing up, syncing, losing all my music, pictures, contacts, etc, getting them back, and it only took us 2 hours.  But she was so pleasant and calm the whole time!  THANK YOU!  But remind me to NEVER do another iPhone update, ever.

So somewhere between all of the hours spent on the phone with the hospital, insurance, cell phone company, and Apple, I did our laundry, packed, ran and got a Starbucks, ironed, went to my ob appointment to hear the baby's heartbeat, dropped off Brad's dry cleaning, ordered dinner, made Brad's lunch for tomorrow, cleaned up the bottle of nail polish Jude broke all over the bathroom, himself, and the laundry, and tried to mother two wild little monkey boys.

But this little guy kept me laughing all day.
These were stickers from his kids meal.  He left them on for over an hour.  He is such a goof-ball.  I love it!  I took this picture when I was on the phone with the lovely gal from Children's.  Maybe he knew I needed some comedic relief at the moment.

Jude's MRI is on Wednesday.  This will help determine if we will do a repeat bone marrow biopsy to see what the cancer in his bone marrow is doing.  I am hoping we will do a biopsy so we will know definitively what is going on in there.  Neuroblastoma can spontaneously go into remission but there is no way of knowing if it has or not without doing a repeat biopsy.  I guess I am just wanting to be able to say that Jude is cancer-free, or in remission, or something besides, "my son has cancer".  I was all prepared to be able to say that 2 weeks after his surgery when we got the pathology back.  Instead we got back a diagnosis of stage 4s...meaning it had metastasized to his bone marrow.  So it is like this cloud hanging over our heads...not being able to say he is in remission.  If it is still there, then it is what it is.  But if is has spontaneously gone into remission, I want to be able to joyfully say that he is "Cancer Free".  I just want that peace of mind.  I don't know if we will get it or not, but that is what I am praying for.

I will update after Jude's appointments on Wednesday and Thursday.  Until then, thank you so much for your prayers for Judie Bug, the sedation, MRI, clinic appointment, and our safe travel.

Comments

Jen said…
Praying for you for safe travel, smooth sedation and scans! Praying for results of remission!
Anonymous said…
Holy crap! Reminds me of that song...'mama said there'd be days like this...' :o) I'm glad you made it through! Hope ya'll have a safe trip to Dallas and that Jude gets excellent results!!! :o)
bonnie said…
Praying your time in Dallas is a blessing and a much better experience than here! I know you will get nothing but good results!