Skip to main content

Hospital Trip

Jude, Katy Jane and I left for Dallas Tuesday.  The hotel I normally stay at was booked.  As was everything else I called on.  I ended up having to stay about 19 miles from the hospital in an unsafe area right by one of the freeways they are doing construction on and a strip club on the other side.  The hotel was mainly occupied by construction workers.  We stuck out like a sore thumb.

I will lie down and sleep in peace, for You alone, 
O Lord, make me dwell in safety.  Psalm 4:8

Wednesday morning was Jude's appointment with the oncologist.  His appointment was routine and we are waiting on lab results as always.  Jude was brave and a very good boy.
We were out of Jude's appointment in record time.  My Mom had the great idea that I should call to see if they had any cancellations in the GI clinic and could possibly work us in so we wouldn't have to spend 2 extra days in Dallas.  I called and talked to two different girls.  One was so sweet, listened to my problem, and sent me to the other girl.  The second girl was not so sweet and told me Dr. Andersen only sees new patients on Friday.  Ok.  I forgot to ask what building I needed to go to Friday for our appointment so I called back.  Got the nice girl again, got the info on where to go.  Forgot to ask what parking garage to use.  (I was completely sleep deprived as none of us slept the night before at our not-so-lovely-safe-comfortable-or-quiet hotel).  Called again and got the sweet girl again.  Asked about the parking.  She asked me if I had gotten in that day.  I told her I had not and that the other girl said Dr. Andersen only sees new patients on Friday.  She said, "well, he's in the clinic today.  I don't know why they couldn't squeeze you in."  She sent me to the not sweet girl again.  I asked again.  She said no again.  But far less nicely than before.  Hurt my feelings.  So I went to Target, thanked the Lord for whatever reasons He had for keeping us in Dallas, and went to find something Targety to cheer myself up. 

 Do not be anxious about anything, but in 
everything, by prayer and petition, with 
thanksgiving present your requests to God.
Philippians 4:6

About 2 minutes later I got a call from the nice girl.  She had tracked Dr. Andersen down.  He was in a meeting which she interrupted, explained my situation, asked him if he could make an exception and see Katy Jane that day.  He said he would.  She was able to work us in at 4:15.  I was so thankful and happy!

Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction,
faithful in prayer. Romans 12:12 

Jude was a sweet boy while we waited.  For a 2 year old who had not slept well the night before, didn't get a nap, had been at the hospital for the entire morning and schlepped around Target, he was incredibly good!
Dr. Andersen was so nice!  He was very patient and took plenty of time talking to me about Katy Jane.  He concluded that she most likely has Sandifer's Syndrome but still wants a 24 hour video EEG to rule out any seizure activity.  First we are going to try 2 new medications and change a few other things with her feeding routine.  If that doesn't eliminate or drastically reduce the number of spasms she has, we will do the EEG.
After making it through our very long, exhausting day we went to eat at La Madeleine.  Jude and I split a piece of tiramisu for dessert. That went a long way towards cheering us up.

Oh taste and see that the Lord is good! Psalm 34:8


We spent one last night in the awful hotel.  Jude poured a bottle of water on his bed so he had to sleep with me.  He head-butted me in his sleep and busted my lip.  He also did this weird thing with his feet while watching tv. Sort of freaked me out.
After about 5 trips back and forth to load the car the next morning, I went to check out.  The lady at the check out gave me a discount for the Children's hospital and asked me how the kids were.  I quickly explained things to her and she told me she would be praying for them.  So sweet!  I went out and was loading them in the car and she came running out.  She told me she was going to comp our stay!  So sweet and such a blessing.

Although it was a very difficult trip both physically and mentally, the Lord blessed us in so many unexpected ways.  He is so good to me.

Leaving Dallas I got stuck in the tangle of traffic and construction somewhere between Grapevine, Euless and Bedford.  For. Two. Hours.  I had 2 GPS's and neither one was a help.  Finally I pulled off, got a coffee, calmed down, and tried again.  We finally made it to the special little piece of Heaven on Earth called Southlake Town Square.  My happy place. 

For He will command His angels concerning you
to guard you in all of your ways; they will
lift up their hands, so that you will not strike
your foot against a stone. Psalm 91:11-12

This is how Jude slept most of the way home.  It had been a rough couple of nights.  I would've done the same thing if I could have.
I have NEVER been happier to get home.  James came running out to me and jumped up in my arms.  I do not do well when I am away from my kids and hubby.  James and Nana made this special present for me!  I adore it!  James' hand and foot prints are painted on the pot as well as some of his special artwork.  He picked out the "batunias".  Thank you Nana!  I treasure this!
James and Jude were so happy to see each other!  They hugged several times.  The love-fest has continued today and I am not complaining.  Absence made their hearts grow fonder.
James wanted to make "burned marshmallows" tonight...also known as s'mores to most people.
 
 
Then he decided he just wanted the burned marshmallow....not the whole "kablam" as he kept calling it.
 
I opted for the whole kablam.
Katy Jane's second bottom tooth is now poking through!  Soon she will be enjoying burned marshmallows with us.
Thank you for praying with us for Jude and Katy Jane's appointments as well as for safe travels.  As always, the Lord was faithful and good to us.  I expect to hear good results on Jude's labs and I am praying the new meds do the trick for Katy Jane.

As for You, O Lord, You will not restrain Your mercy from me; Your steadfast love and your faithfulness will ever preserve me. Psalm 40:11

Comments