Skip to main content

Happy 4th Of July

Yesterday James and I were discussing our plans for today with Nana and he asked me why we celebrate the 4th of July.  I scrambled through the recesses of my  mind praying that something...just this one time...from high school history class would have lodged somewhere up there in my brain so I could give my child a semi-intelligent response.  And by the grace of God I came up with the correct answer...I had to confirm with my Mom and Brad though to make sure I was right.  I hate being put on the spot.  Even by my own 3 year old.

We started out our celebrations by having a cookout at Mom and Dad's.  The boys played in the back yard.  I did bring their swimsuits but James ended up wearing just his undies and Jude opted for the only slightly more appropriate attire of a swim diaper.
 
 
 
Those eyelashes kill me.  What I would give..
Earlier in the day James and I made cupcakes for tonight's dessert.  He is definitely my little chef.  If I'm in the kitchen, he's right by my side helping.
He loves to cook!
Katy Jane didn't get in on too much of the 4th of July festivities.  But at least she looked cute.

After dinner we all headed over to our house.  Our street is literally right across the street from where the fireworks are set off.  So we (well...not me...but someone on my block) blocks off the street and we have a big gigantic block party and everyone pulls their chairs out into the middle of the street for the best view in the city of the fireworks display.  It is so much fun!!!  We have the best block in the world.  Everyone is so friendly and so much fun.  I love that we know all of our neighbors so well...it is such a great sense of community.
Snuzi, Katy Jane, Papa and Jude
Brad, Nana and Katy Jane
This was James' first year to see a fireworks display.  Last year there was a ban and they did a lame-o laser show that no one could see.  The year before that he was too young.  Jude wasn't able to make it that late so he went on to bed.  Maybe next year.  Katy Jane slept through the whole thing.
He was in awe!
I love that this picture shows all of the neighbors out in the street as well as some of the spectacular fireworks.
I will always remember this year's fireworks display because it was Jamesie's first to see and I loved getting to experience it through his eyes...the wonderment, inquisitiveness, excitement, and joy.

Happy 4th of July!

Comments