Skip to main content

Crafting. I Hate You.

The other day I made the boys some homemade slime.  I didn't have any food coloring so they got plain ole white.  They didn't seem to care.  To me this falls under the "crafting" category which I vehemently despise but MAKE myself do because James loves crafting like a shark loves blood.  However, this one was slightly more tolerable for some reason.  Super easy too: 2 cups water, 2 bottles of glue, 2 tsp borax and food coloring unless you're me and don't have any.  Mix up one cup of the water with the glue and food coloring.  Separately mix up the other cup of water with the borax.  Mix it all together until it turns into slime.
 
This morning I had one of those Mommy moments where I very nearly lost the rest of my mind because all 3 kids were screaming at once.  James and Jude were fighting over socks (of course, why not?) and Katy Jane was screaming just because they were and she thought that was the game.  Brad's on nights now so I generally try to keep the kids quiet while he's sleeping but I had reached my limit.  I yelled back at them (which I hate!) and only accomplished raising the noise level exponentially.  Brad woke up and I turned the children over to him, got in the car and took a 1 hour sanity break.  It needed to happen.  Anyways, while I was out I went to get Brad a Father's Day present and thought I would kill a little time by going next door to the Michaels.  I literally walked down one aisle, remembered why I hate all things crafty, and left.  That is not the place for a craftophobe to clear her mind.  I think the root of why I hate it so much is because it just makes a mess and I hate messes.  I need therapy...I know.  Maybe that's not why I hate it so much but who cares. It doesn't come naturally to me and I feel bad about myself (and unreasonably jealous) every time I see someone's super cute mommy blog with all of their clever creations that they've made with their little darlings all while smiling and not inwardly wincing, freaking out and reaching for the dustbuster for all the glitter, glue, construction paper and debris on the floor.  My kids get white slime. So there. I know my limitations. So James, Jude, and Katy Jane...if you are reading this years from now and have some sort of deep-seated issues related to crafting...or messes...I take full responsibility.  Your dad will pay for your therapy.  I'm sorry.

Sunday we had lunch with Mom and Dad...our favorite part of the week!  Katy Jane has become quite smitten with her Papa.
 
I shoved all the kids into the bath together the other night to speed things along.  I think the looks on their faces tell how they feel about this.
 
Katy Jane is doing so well with her physical therapy.  She is going to be caught up in no time.  So proud of her!  She was working so hard on pulling up tonight.
 
 
She gets so proud of herself!

James is into sleeveless shirts these days for some reason.  Presumably to show off his guns.  He came up to me today, held up one of his little arms, and was looking at his armpit.  He said, "You see these little hairs here?"
"Yes, I sure do."  (Ummm...no.)
"Well someday they are going to be longer, like Daddy's."
"That's great.  Are you excited about that?"
"Yes. Yes I am.  Do you think Jude has any?"
Jude runs over with his arms up so his brother can inspect his tiny hairless pits.
"He sure does, Mom!  He's gonna have 'em too!"

Just wait until they discover all of the other joys of growing up.  Oy.

Comments

Erin said…
Laird has been all about the sleeveless shirts too. He calls them his muscle shirts. :)