Skip to main content

Vacation 2013

This post will have A. LOT. of pictures.  A whole lot.  But my whole point of this blog is as a sort of journal for my children...so they can have a glimpse of what our lives are like now.  So there will be lots of pictures and lots of bragging about my sweet babies and the darling things they do and say.  Because it's my blog, for them, for us to remember.

We just got back from our beach vacation.  Early in the year we planned to go to Florida then chickened out at the thought of traveling that far with 3 very small children.  So we changed it to just going to Great Wolf Lodge until the reality of taking our kids to a water park when none of them can swim sank in.  So we finally landed on going to Dallas and then on to Galveston.

The first leg of our trip was to Dallas and the Dallas World Aquarium.  We were very surprised and this ended up being one of the best parts of our trip.

Lots of cool art exhibits at our hotel.
 
Starting the day right with a yummy breakfast.
 
This crocodile looks small in this picture.  He was not.  He was huge.  He was about 17 feet long and almost 1200 pounds.
James was so thrilled to get to see the otters.  They were so cute.
 
 
James calls these "stink raids".
This was a Japanese Spider Crab...about 13 feet across.
A Giant Pacific Octopus.  Eek.
And finally...I actually laid my eyes on a real live flock of flamingos.  It was just a few short years ago when I thought these were nothing more than fictional yard art.  Now I believe.
This is in front of the Jaguar cage.  He's to the left.  He was a fast one.
The boys were fascinated.

After leaving the aquarium we drove straight to Galveston.  Driving long distances with 3 small children and LOTS of luggage is challenging.  But we did it!  All I wanted was to see my babies see the ocean for the first time.
It was late and we didn't have much time before the sun set.  But they loved it!
Brad took them into the ocean.
And James played with his "crispy".
Katy Jane loved the sand which shocked me because of her texture issues.
After a rough night in a hotel that was way less than what we had hoped for, we went for a much needed coffee fix and Brad found out the best beach to go to.  We felt like we lucked out and it turned our vacation around.  We found a much better hotel on that end of the island and had a much better time.
Katy Jane loves the beach!
So did my sweet boys.
9 years ago, Brad was stationed in San Diego, CA and sent me a picture of a heart in the sand with our names in it.  Awww.  So sweet.  Now we have more in our hearts.
 
 
 
 
 
I think she loves the sun as much as I do.
 
 
 
 
 

One of my favorite parts of the vacation was sitting in the surf while the boys ran and splashed in front of us.
Katy Jane loved it also.
 
 
My girl!
I love these little beach babies.
Daddy and James.
Daddy and Jude.
My favorite beach picture.

We met a group of people sitting next to us on the beach that were so nice.  We loved getting to talk to them.  But what I love about this picture is that while Brad and Mike were talking, James was standing behind them using the ocean as a potty.  Oy. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
This was one of the best beach moments for me.  It was early one morning, we had just gotten settled on the beach, the kids had started playing and I was able to sit down and enjoy my venti toffee nut latte with 3 shots.  Ahh.
Katy Jane enjoyed a steady diet of sand while on vacation.
 
After long days at the beach, it was great to go get into a nice cool pool at the hotel.  I think the kids enjoyed that as much as the beach.
 
 
Walking around Galveston was a sweaty hot experience.  Maybe visiting the island in the fall would be a better idea.  We still had fun though.
 
 
 
 
 
After a great time at the beach, we finished up our trip by stopping by the outlet mall (bust) and then on to my sister's house.  It was so great to see them.  The boys love their Aunt Care Care.
The boys loved getting to see Morgan's chickens and help collect the eggs.
"The little brother she never wanted".
Uncle Andy and Katy Jane.
Madison and Katy Jane.
Madison and Jamesie.
When we were leaving Carrie's, James sweetly said, "We could leave Katy Jane here with you.  You could keep her in the garage and let the kitties love on her."  I guess we know how he feels about her now.

After getting back home and wading through mountains of luggage, laundry, and beach toys...we are all getting rested up from our vacation.
Home, sweet home.

Comments

bonnie said…
Loved reading about your vacation! Looks like it was lots of fun! Luke and KJ have the same teeth! So stinkin cute!