Skip to main content

The Icing On The Cake

As I mentioned, James wanted a blueberry cake for his birthday. He loves blueberries crazy style. This is the cake he chose. Beautiful, right?  A 3 layer lemon and blueberry cake.  I looked at the recipe and thought, "Hmm...involved, but I can handle it."
I spent most of my morning making it.  James was thrilled.  He "supervised" as I carefully followed the recipe and placed the blueberries exactly where he wanted them. A little taste test of batter met his approval.
I put it on the table and ONE SECOND after taking this picture...
This happened.
 
And then this happened.  He was heart-broken.  Finally the whole thing just slid right apart and off the cake pedestal.
 
But you know what?  It sure did taste great.  We sat right down on the kitchen floor and ate it.
And because I had several sinks full of dishes to wash from the cake disaster, I took a picture and then turned a blind eye when I saw them doing this.
Yep...icing right out of the bowl.  And James stuck with his blueberries.  And look!!!  It turned out to be a 3 layer cake after all!  Just not how I had hoped.
I mean....pretty close, right?  It looks practically the exact same.
Then we went to walmart to buy a cake for the family party that night.
 
And a tiny monkey pinata.
Finally time to celebrate our boy!
 



James was so happy to have some of his cousins in town for his birthday.
My beautiful Mommy!
 
Nana, Papa and the grandkids.
Ok...so the lesson learned here is that I shouldn't try a new recipe on the day of the birthday. However, sitting on the floor with my boys, laughing at our cake disaster and eating the ugly (but delicious) results, goes a long way to making things better.  For all of us.

Comments