Skip to main content

Treasures

Last week I went up into my parent's attic in search of some things from my childhood that I wanted the kids to see.  (Not that they care at this point, but someday, maybe).  While up there I ended up on  a very joyful, heart-breaking, question-answering, tearful, gut-wrenching, endearing trip down memory lane and into my precious Mother's past.  I wasn't looking for that but those moments will be ones I treasure for the rest of my life.  Her story isn't mine to tell, although I am trying to persuade her to write it down for me.  But I loved that time with my Mom.  James was up there with us for part of it and I loved the thought of 5 generations as we poured over these "treasures".  My great grandmother and grandmother's belongings, my mom, James, and me.  I never met my grandmother and only met my great grandmother when I was too young to remember her.  So to get to see their things was precious to me.  My Mother has painstakingly written notes and labeled things for our benefit.  What a treasure!

James kept asking me if I had found anymore treasures up there.  I found a lot of things from my childhood that Mom has so carefully preserved for us.  Baby clothes, baby blankets, toys, papers, keepsakes.  Connections to our past.

But the word that kept coming up in conversation was "treasure".  Granted, I'm very sentimental about these things, but they are treasures to me nonetheless.  This week while doing my bible study lesson for BSF, the notes had this quote: "I am chosen by the Lord to be His treasure, His own inheritance and He is my treasure.  What lesser treasures keep you from full devotion to your true treasure, Jesus Christ?"

I guess because we had used the word "treasure" so much and my mind and thoughts had been so consumed by this unexpected discovery of items from the women that I come from, it had a profound impact on me that I am chosen by the Lord to be His treasure!  How unworthy I feel to be His treasure.  How honored I feel.  How humbled.  These things, yes they are treasures to me, but they are things.  They are not eternal.  The Lord is.

I brought down mine and my sister's baby clothes.  I've had so much fun dressing Katy Jane in some of them.
 
 
 
 
 
 The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty One who will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness; He will quiet you by His love; He will exult over you with loud singing.  Zephaniah 3:17
~~~~~
My daughter has inherited my love of coffee.  I won't lie...it fills my heart with joy.
 
These boys.  What they do to my heart!
After dropping James off at school Wednesday, Jude and Katy Jane and I ran some errands.  Jude discovered this "Yeehawme" and wanted a ride.  
Today after school, James, Jude and I made cupcakes with chocolate frosting.  I loaded the dishwasher and walked away to do something else for a moment.  When I came back this is what I discovered.  Why let a chocolate frosting-covered spatula go unlicked? 

Yep.  Definitely my daughter.

Comments

Sarah Hammer said…
Coffee AND licking dirty dishes out of the dishwasher?! She's a girl after my own heart!
Unknown said…
Well written, Steph! And licking the spoon in the dishwasher...awesomeness!!