Skip to main content

Homeschool 2017-2018

Our school year has begun. James is in 3rd grade.  Jude is in 1st grade.  And Katy Jane is in Kindergarten!  We started our school year on August 28th, 2017.


 I love my sweet little class.
James wants to be a chef when he grows up.  This has not changed.  He has wanted to be a chef since he was in preschool.
Jude wants to be a doctor and a cowboy.  This has not changed either.  I think he was 2 when he decided he wanted to be a doctor.  And being a cowboy is just in his soul.  He's worn boots since he could walk.
Then there's Katy Jane.  This year she decided she wants to be a fairy and a princess when she grows up.  NOT a fairy princess.  I made that mistake.  But a fairy and a princess.  Ok.  The next day she wanted to be a housekeeper so I think she's keeping her options open.
Every year we start out our first day of school with a walk.  We talk about the school year ahead, what we want to learn and do.  What we are excited about and not so excited about.  James and Jude were most excited to learn about math and science and Katy Jane was most excited to learn about Jesus and the Bible.  I think she got confused with Sunday school and homeschool and gave her church answer.  Good either way though because she needs a large dose of both Jesus and the Bible.
I LOVE Kindergarten.  It is my favorite grade to teach so far.  Everything is new and fun and exciting!  Every workbook was like the best present ever.  She was so excited!  I prayed that excitement and joy would last.   More on that later.


So. Excited.

Every year after our first day of school we wrap up with a cookie at the bakery.
 

Katy Jane's joy and excitement for school faded pretty fast.  At least when it comes to writing the number 5.  I get it, it's hard.  Kindergarten is hard.




Thankfully, I was able to bribe her with a chocolate chip for every 5 she wrote.  Much like her mama, she can easily be bought with chocolate.  We were able to rally and come back from the hardships of writing a 5.  Whew.

I love that our school day can include fun visits to go see our sweet little Dee Dee!  I'm sure that falls under the field trip category.

I'm not sure why but I was under the impression that homeschooling would get easier the longer we did this.  I was wrong.  So wrong.  It's not that I'm not grateful that  we get to homeschool or that I wish I could send the kids on down to the public school.  It's just that, some days are hard.  Today was a hard school day. I woke up late and grumpy.  The kids had destroyed the house before I had even had my first cup of coffee. James wasn't feeling well.  Our schedule got thrown off.  All 3 kids seemed to have forgotten EVERYTHING we learned last week.  Jude poured egg nog (I know it's only September...don't judge) all over the counter, floor and me.  And my heart just really wasn't in it today.

BUT!  Tomorrow is a whole new day.  I know this much for sure.  My day is infinitely better when I wake up before my kids, read my bible, pray, and prepare my heart and mind for our day ahead.  Not just for school but as a wife and mom.  I know that since the Lord called me to this, He will enable me.  Even when I feel utterly inadequate.

Comments

Carrie said…
Hugs to you! It does get a little easier when everyone can read and be a little more independent. It goes so fast, but it's super hard when littles are dependent on you. You're doing a fantastic job!