Skip to main content

Adenoid & Tonsillectomy Days 6-15

Night 5 was uneventful.  He woke up easily during the night and took his medicine well.  I was warned that days 5-9 were the worst because the scabs begin to slough off.  I was grateful that he rested well that night. 

It's also worth noting that his tongue had a white coating on it the entire time he was healing.  This was normal as well as gross.  Just part of it.  

Day 6 was sort of horrible.  His pain increased greatly.  We noticed large chunks of the scabs began to come off.  He was aware of it as it felt like something was stuck in his throat as he described it.  I would just have him drink large amounts of water to push it on down. He seemed to have a fairly good appetite so I had him eat some chicken nuggets to sort of help things along in the back of his throat.  Ew.  Again, my main focus was staying on top of the drinking, giving him the medicine right on schedule, and keeping him rested.  He did not rest well this night as the pain was unbearable.  He woke up kicking, moaning and crying in pain.  Getting him calmed down enough to take the medicine was difficult.  Lots of praying, singing, rocking and begging.  And even a few threats of having to return to the hospital to "get another poke" if he didn't calm down, take his medicine and drink.

Post-op Day 6
Day 7 was the worst day and night for pain.  The scabs continued to slough and I continued to push the drinking.  I reminded him that the more he drank the quicker the scabs would go away and the quicker the scabs went away, the sooner he would get to run and play.  I would challenge him to drinking contests...whoever drinks this (3 ounce) cup the fastest wins.  I would give him a cup that held about 12 ounces and told him that when he drank it all I would stand on the counter and do a happy dance.  This really did the trick and I used it several times.  I even paid him to drink.  The kid cleaned up.

This day was the most disgusting scab-wise.  It was like there was a long, thick, ropy, dangly arm just hanging back there on the right.  I was actually light-headed after looking at his throat and was physically sick.  So.  Gross.  James, if you are ever reading this in the future, I love you dearly, but it was nasty.  However, his breath seemed to not be stinky from this point on.

Post-op Day 7
Days 8-10 were progressively better.  He overdid it on day 10 though and digressed a little bit.  That was the first night for him to go sleep back in his own bed and he woke up in a lot of pain and ended up coming to my room in the middle of the night.  He had a bit of bleeding earlier that day as well.  Nothing too bad but he gargled with ice water just to be on the safe side.  Day 10 was also his last dose of the prescription pain medication.  We had been giving it to him only at bedtime.  The rest of the time we just used Tylenol and on day 7 we added in Ibuprofen alternately with the Tylenol. 

Post-op Day 8
Post-Op Day 9

Post-Op Day 10
A special visit from Uncle Bean and Aunt Lindsay!
Day 11 we took it much easier to try and recover from the day before.  He was very tired and weak.
Post-Op Day 11
Waiting for Daddy
Day 12-14 were all great.  No medicine was needed and he slept great!  His snoring has stopped and he is sleeping later and better.  I'm so thankful.
Post-Op Day 12

Post-Op Day 13

Post-Op Day14
Today was day 15 and his post-op appointment with his surgeon.  She was very pleased with his progress.  He had me take in the notebook we had been keeping track of his drinking in so he could show Dr. Morgan.  He got around 70-90 ounces a day!  She was very pleased with him and said his throat looks great!  She told him she wished all of his patients did as well as he did.  He beamed!  THEN he dropped the bomb.  He said to Dr. Morgan and her nurse, "My mommy dances on the bar when I drink!"  Oy.  Going to have to work on that one.  I QUICKLY told them that as incentive I would do the happy dance on our kitchen counter to get him to drink all of his water.  Thankfully they both laughed.  Oh the things a Mommy will do to take care of her babies.  Let's just hope he doesn't bust out that story at church.  I should've thought that one through a little further.
Post-Op Day 15-ALL BETTER!!!

So happy Bubba's better!
We are done!  Thank you Lord!  So it's sort of like childbirth but way less fun.  You forget the pain because it is so worth it.  At the beginning of this, particularly the first night, I didn't know if I would be able to say that.  It was hard, no doubt about it.  It is way harder than people prepare you for.  Maybe because the outcome is so good they forget how hard it was when they went through it.  And like I said earlier, each child tolerates pain differently.  Also, a lot of the pain has to do with how much the tonsils are adhered.  James' were attached over a large area.  Some kids' tonsils are hanging on by only a small amount.  The larger the area they are attached, the worst the recovery will be.

So here is my advice and suggestions: Do whatever you have to do, yes even dancing on the bar, to get your kid to drink drink drink.  The more they drink the better they will feel and more quickly they will heal.  Bribery, treats, money...whatever it takes.

Have lots of yummy treats and drinks on hand as well as little surprises or gifts.  We spent exponentially more on the food, drinks and little gifts/surprises to get him through this than we did on the surgery itself.  Two weeks is a long time to not be able to run around and play and they will get bored.  Have lots of tricks up  your sleeve.  We visited the library multiple time to check out stacks and stacks of books and movies.  I let James play games on my computer and he had unlimited playing time on his leap pad.  Now is not the time to worry about rotting your child's brain with too much tv and technology.  They need to be still and resting.  And to be fair, we are now in the midst of some un-spoiling from the past two weeks and it's no fun.

Also, don't be too concerned about the fact that their healthy eating habits are temporarily suspended.  James wanted donuts every morning so donuts he got.  As long as he would eat it, I would let him have it.  Otherwise there would be massive weight loss.  I have a friend whose daughters both lost 15 pounds during their recovery after a tonsillectomy.  I tried to "bulk James up" pre-surgery.  Now that all of it is behind us we can start cracking down on healthy eating habits again.

You always hear about the Popsicles and ice cream after a tonsillectomy.  James ate exactly ONE Popsicle in the whole 2 weeks after his surgery.  He did eat a little bit of ice cream and ice cream bars, but not as much as I expected.  He mainly wanted soft bread, apple sauce, and yogurt.  The ice cold drinks were too hard for him to drink so room temperature or only slightly cold drinks worked best for James.  And the small cups (3-4 oz) were an easy and rewarding accomplishment for James to get down some water.  Just enough to not be overwhelming but it really added up quickly during the day.

And go ahead and wrap your mind around the fact that NOTHING will be accomplished in your house for a good 10 days.  So don't worry about the laundry, dishes and housework (or getting a daily shower).  It will all be there when it's over. 

I've heard some people say their experience with their child's tonsillectomy was a breeze and no big deal at all.  But mostly I've heard people with experiences like ours...very challenging and painful.  I told our surgeon today that we don't have a deep well from which to draw for non-emergency situations.  We have a son that was diagnosed with cancer at 6 months old, a daughter with Sandifer's syndrome as a baby, and James who spent the majority of his 5 years sick.  You just have to bear down and get through it.  Day 10 or 11 is the turning point.  Just hang in there and know you will be able to catch up on your sleep after that.

Comments

ceejay said…
Thank you for sharing this has been the most useful and practical reading I've had. My daughter is on day 6 and she woke up screaming and kicking. Thanks to your blog I knew it was expected. I told her Doc how useful it would be if parents of kids that have gone through tjis could share experiences with those undergoing. Once again thank you.
Snuzi said…
Thank you for letting me know! I hope your little girl breezes through the rest of the healing process!! Your over half way there! You can do it!! Praying she heals well and quickly.
Anonymous said…
Hi hi.

im all the way from Iceland. Your blogg was very useful. My 6 year old daughter is on the 7th day.
Thank you.

Sgrun
mchambers said…
We're on day 11, and still in so much pain. Thank you for sharing!
Babydreams2011 said…
AM of day 6 for us. My 4yo woke up about 2hrs ago screaming bloody murder and running around disoriented and grasping his throat! I didnt panic thanks to finding your blog just hours before! Thanks so much!
Anonymous said…
On Day 7 and last night was rough. My four year old woke up between the time for meds crying in pain. I had been hoping we had seen the worst. You made me feel hopeful that we are almost there. Thank you!

Cassi
Anonymous said…
My 10 year old is on day 8 and I can't believe how hard this is and the amount of pain this child has been in. I have found myself on my knees begging God to take his pain away several times in the last couple days . I often have said to myself If I kne this I wouldn't have said yes but I know he needed it. Of course my son had to be the 5 percent on day 6 he was siting in the bathtub letting hot water hit him before he took his pain meds, this child has never been so clean he takes 3 baths a day. So while in the bath he coughed and a silver dollar sand blood came out then another then about half a cup of red blood and a clot. So you can imagine my panic called 911 and off to hospital we went. Prayed and prayed some more that He would be ok and we wouldn't have to start all over with him going back into surgery. The bleeding stopped on its own thank god but since then he has had so much pain ! praying the next week goes fast and each day gets better. As of today he is only eating liquids and down 11 pounds .. He needed to lose weight but not like this .
Snuzi said…
Oh my goodness!!! That must've been terrifying! I am so so sorry! I am praying along with you that the Lord will ease his pain and make the rest of his recovery go quickly! I know the feeling of regret...I had that as well. But let me comfort you by saying that on this side of it...it IS so worth it. I know it doesn't feel like it to you right now, but lean into Jesus for strength and stay strong. It will be worth it! My son has hardly been sick at all since his surgery and hasn't had to be on antibiotics.
I am praying!!! Keep me posted on how y'all are doing!
Snuzi said…
Hi Cassi! How is your little one doing now? I hope things are going better!!
Melissa said…
Thank you for posting this blog! We are on day 6 and recovery has not been what I thought it would be. It has been a challenge to get the pain meds down because it hurts his throat and we have fallen off schedule. He prefers an ice pack to the neck but starting yesterday night he has been crying about his ears and head hurting. I'm trying to google us much as I can about the stages and what to expect and this was very helpful. I was hoping for a quicker recovery as people told me their recovery stories but I don't quite see the end of the tunnel just yet. Thanks again for relieving my fears that this is abnormal.
Unknown said…
My 6 year old is on day 15, no pain and feeling pretty good and sleeping well at night. Going in today for his post op check up (2 week) my main concern is that he does still have scabs in his tonsil beds, hoping this is normal and that he is healing properly! Hoping his surgeon gives us a great evaluation this afternoon!
Unknown said…
My daughter is on day 9 and is still complaining of it being sore and is still only eating soft foods. Everything else is still hurting to swallow. Is anyone else having this problem? Is it normal. They look like its healing but i am worried. Could it be infected?
Snuzi said…
Hi Jordyn! I think that is normal. Might be worth a call to your doc just to make sure. Remind your little one that the more she drinks the less it will hurt! Prayers for no more pain!
Maryna said…
Thanks so much for sharing your experience. My boy (5) is on day 8 and I thought it would be easier by now, but he is still in a lot of pain. It has been a miserable week for both of us. Mind you, that is an understatement..

I am amazed that you could take such clear photo's of your little one's throat!! Thanks for that, it is so interesting to see - if pretty gross, of course ;-) . Mine doesn't want to open his mouth at all, he says it hurts. He has always been able to talk (sometimes quite softly), but even then he muffles with a half-closed mouth. He actually manages to wail very loudly too, but again with his mouth half closed. It is interesting how they differ, isn't it?
Lynn Goss said…
THANK YOU for sharing the realistic experience. My 4 YO boy is only on the a.m. of day 6 and I thought I waa going crazy. Drinking is a fight. Nighttime meds are a fight. Not 1 whole popsicle was every really eaten either! I could never get the photos you did as he won't open his mouth :-/ I believe he has a decent appetite mode than a desire to drink, it's strange! I know the surgery was necessary but I didn't expect this. Wish I had found your blog sooner. I hope all of your children are well now too.
Unknown said…
Your blog totally put me at ease. My 6 year old had her tonsillectomy exactly a week ago and she was fine no fevers or pain. Today day seven she woke up screaming in pain and now we are back on meds. Through googling I found your blog and it totally helped us. Thank you!!
Renee said…
THANK YOU for sharing your experience. My son (he's 4) is on Day 8 of his recovery and I did not expect it to be this bad. The surgeon told us it would be easy and he would bounce right back in a few days (as did others) - that was far from the case! My son is very small and underweight as it is and has hardly eaten a thing - so the weight loss has been very stressful. Thankfully, he is very good about drinking water & apple juice, but has refused medicine since day 3. He is definitely in pain, but I can honestly say he has been a trooper - I don't know many adults who could push through that much pain without medicine. He did wake up last night a few times crying out in pain, I'm thinking it is the scabs coming off at this point? He has coughed a ton (which makes me nervous), and gags like he is choking on something. Once he takes a few sips of water, he seems OK. Ugh, I cannot wait for Day 15 to hit and for him to feel like himself again!
P.S. My son had severe sleep apnea and had a lot of trouble eating prior to the surgery. They felt his tonsils were the culprit and would solve his sleeping/breathing/eating issues, along with his growing delays. He has already started to breath much better at night and I'm assuming will only get better the more swelling subsides. It doesn't feel like it now, but I know it will be worth it in the end!
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
My son is 7 years old, and had both his tonsil adenoid removed. Doctor told us this is an easy procedure and he will bounce back within a week. Not the case, he almost died, literally within 24 hours after the surgery.
In the midnight, my son sat up and gulp out huge amount of blood clots,and rushed to the bathroom and started throwing up blood out of his mouth. It was scary sight as you can imagine. We rushed into the ER, and he was scheduled for 2nd surgery right away because of broken blood vessel. The doctor took out 300 cc of blood from his stomach. We stayed in the hospital overnight until the doctor checked to make sure he wasn't bleeding anymore.

Day 2-5 were very tough at home, fighting to drink water, no ice cream, no Popsicle, refuse to eat and drink, not even the medicine. It was so stressful for us that we had to send our younger daughter to our relatives to take care of him.

On day 5, we went to urgent care because doctor suggested IV to help dehydration. When he was screaming when the nurse was about to begin, he cough out blood again. Rushed to the ER the 2nd time, and this time he was hospitalized, the pain was so severe that the doctor had to give him morphine 6 times throughout the night to resume his drinking.

At this point, my husband and me starting to see that he has panic attacks every time the pain comes back. We can't talk sense into him no matter what we say at those moments, he just complete shuts down and starting banning his head on whatever closes to him. Our hearts are completely broken.

After 2 days of hospitalization, his pain is controlled with Tylenol with codine, and Motrin. He came home yesterday, showing appetite for the first time, and ate some smashed pasta. Pain is up to his ear now, but he is very brave at drinking medicine, but in the middle of nights are still difficult.

We are now on day 8, and thank you for sharing your experience with us. It really help us dealing with so much trauma that has already happened. It comforted me to know that day by day he will get better to the day 15.

Thank you again for sharing! For anyone else , please think hard and through before you follow doctor's suggested procedure knowing that there is a lot of danger in doing tonsillectomy as there are 5 major blood vessels around the area that can all cause heavy internal bleeding. If you have done it, I suggest sleeping with your child in the first few nights so you can to help deal with any emergency situation in time.

Unknown said…
Thank you for sharing. It's great to get first hand information from moms who have been through it! We're on day 1. We have a long way to go, but she's drinking well, and already wanting mac and cheese and spaghetti Os. Praying these next couple weeks bring her comfort and minimal pain.
Unknown said…
Thank you so much for sharing. We are on the morning of Day 6. My daughter, 3.5 years, had a tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy, an upper lip frenulum plasty, and a tongue release. Lip and tongue were due to ties. Decided to just to do it all at once.
The lip and tongue clip were nothing compared to the tonsil removal. We were not ready for this challenge. It has been so so hard. She started refusing her Tylenol Motrin about Day 2. Wanting no medications at all but in severe pain. It has been the biggest battle. She wants nothing past those lips. I've resorted too acetaminophen suppositories every 4 hours. Which are easier to adminstor be to a fighting child. The night before last she had nausea. Vomited 6 times in 3 hours. No blood. I believe it was from being dosed With the suppository and no food. Luckily she did rehydrate herself all day yesterday with some food. Yesterday by far had been our best day. She was incredibly weak until she nibbled on some eggs. But wanted to engage in puzzles and colors finally.
I've read days 7-10 are the worst. I've been bracing myself for these days, although this whole experience from day 1 has been awful. She does not like anything cold and when she does eat it's two small nibbles of something. Nevertheless we are trucking through. Your post has given me hope. Every moment of the day I'm internally scared any minute the pain will come ten fold and without her taking regular meds, things will take a turn for the worst. I just want this to be over.
Your post and others' responses have made me feel not so alone.
Thank you.
Best of luck to everyone. We can do this.
Koki said…
Thank you very much, although we went through another tonsillectomy with my son, I could not recall all this roller coasters. You have been most helpful. Thank you
Thank you for sharing your story. We are on day 13. I could not have imagined how hard this was going to be. My two year old began refusing meds on day 2. It was such a struggle to get her to drink. We tried everything finally she began accepting some blue colored drinks. We are usually a healthy household but for this surgery that all went out the window. I was so happy she drank and ate anything I didn't care if it was nuclear blue colored slushies or cupcakes for dinner. My poor baby was underweight to begin with and she definitely lost a couple of pounds. I'm hoping her appetite picks up now that we are two weeks out.

Hopefully we can all move past the trauma (and yes I do say trauma because this has been traumatic for us the parents and her) and get back to our normal life.
Unknown said…
Thanks so much. We are on night 5 and today was the hardest. He’s been in pain all day and jumping in and out of sleep. He’s almost 3 and it’s a fight to get the pain medication in him at times. I’m seriously trying the counter trick tomorrow to get him to take his medication. Thanks again for reassuring me that this pain is normal considering days 1 & 2 were pretty easy.
Thank you for this. We are on day 6. Didn't want to eat or drink today. But before, days 1-5, ate and drank pretty regularly. The days are okay, but nights/early mornings are terrible. Complaining of head and ear pain to the point of screaming and crying. Barley getting paim meds down. We definitely are on a roller coaster. Day 6 has been very hard. Thank you as well to all the comments. All have been helpful.
Anonymous said…
Thank you for writing and postin this!!! We are currently on day 10 and in the homestretch, but I found this on day 5 when I was frantically searching the internet...the entire internet to see if what we were going through was normal and if and when it would get better. Thank you, again!
Unknown said…
I hope your little one gets better quick! All 3 of my boys have had this surgery. My now almost 18 yr old got it done at age 3. Then my now 11yr old got it done when he was 8. My now 10 yr old got it done when he was 8 as well. My oldest was a breeze! Nothing like his little brothers. It was rough! I wasn't expecting any of it. When my youngest got it. I was prepared so I thought. It was a roller coaster ride with him worse than his brother. It's definitely scary and stressful!!
Anonymous said…
Hi, my 3 years old had this surgery done Wednesday March 21, 2018 as well as tubes placed in her ears. This is extremely painful for me to see her go through this but I understand it's a different kind of pain for her.
After reading your blog, I feel a little relief cause I know what to expect if this happens to her as well as far as the night crying screaming etc.
I managed to encourage her to get down 1% milk cause that's all she would drink (sip) and she ate a half of popsicle. I'm kinda scared to see what these the rest of the days and night will hold for me and her up until.the 10th day.
But I do appreciate this blog.
Unknown said…
This blog was so helpful to my little. She is 4 yo and one day 8. It has been just awful. She has ate since day 1 though, so thats good. But the ear pain makes her fall into this panic attack like state of mind. It has been the worse experiences, especially since the ENT said she would be good after 3 to 5 days. Lies.
Anonymous said…
Almost in tears reading about all the painful experiences. My son 6 yo is Post opt day 7. His doesn't complain about his throat or any referred ear pain. He has had horrible cheek pain in the inside meaty part of the cheek, not the jaw.I brought him back to the ENT who is stumped. There is no infection just pain. Day 5 and 6 he wasn't able to sleep, crying or whimpering all night. I am force feeding him Motrin and Tynenol per the schedule the doctor recommended. It is hard to have him in intolerable pain. He hasn't had an solid food, just liquids. I pray everyday for recovery. Thank you for posting. This is the 1st article that I have read that has made me feel there is an end.
Unknown said…
Great blog. Day7 today and I'm ready for these sad nights to end. It's been smooth until night 5. Thank you for sharing.
Unknown said…
Thank you for sharing my 10 yr old is on day 6 ...days 1 to 3 were fine,day 4 was the hardest because i was expecting her to be healing but we had the worst night of our lifes..she was cryng of pain and didnt even want to take her pain meds...after trying to force it down...she would cry evn more closing both her ears saying tht the pain medication stings.day 5 got even worse because she dsnt want to eat or drink.i even started regreting why ive put my child through such pain.she wakes up every 2 hours jumps out of bed and cries.she is even strugling with her bowel.


Thank you for your blog i now know what to do going foward and what to expect.
Unknown said…
This is a brilliant tool for any parent going through this surgery with their child. I am currently on day 4 and my daughter 6yrs old still seems fine. I am letting her eat what she wants when she wants and pushing the fluids. Like you I have found room temperature fluid is best to get the most drunk but I do also have ice cold water (that I froze in bottles) next to her for extra pain relief. So far she has not had a single tear about pain and every day I am expecting a bad day to arrive. Her breath smells really bad but now I know that is normal, her throat looks white and gross but again after reading your post know this is normal. Thank you so much for taking the time to write it.
Unknown said…
Thank you for sharing this. Now i do have one question? When did he start talking? My daughter's on day 5 and she's still won't talk.
Unknown said…
We are in the early morning of day 6 with my almost 8 year old DS. He woke up hurting so bad. His doctor and nurse warned me that days 6-10 would be the worst pain wise I'm so thankful I found your blog before his procedure and I thought I was prepared . I feel so helpless. Thankfully I saved his pain killers for the rough days .
Unknown said…
I am so glad I've found this! We are 7 days post op with our 5 year old. He's still in so much pain and getting him to eat is so hard. He's lost so much weight and I feel like a monster begging him to eat. I feel so much better after reading this and the day by day pictures are really helpful too.