Skip to main content

Jude's Appointment

Last week Jude and I went to Dallas for his oncology appointment.  We got up very early and left to drive straight to the hospital in Dallas. 
 
By the time we got to Childress Jude was ready for breakfast and I was needing to walk around to wake myself up a little bit.
"It's too bwite.  The sun's in mine eyes!"
 Waking up at 3:00 AM finally caught up with him.
We went right to the hospital cafeteria to grab some lunch before his appointment.
Thankfully we didn't have to wait too long for his appointment.  He was NOT happy that he had to have his blood drawn.  He held a grudge for several hours if not days. 
 
Finally the oncologist came in.  It was our first time to meet with this doctor as Jude has been put in the "ACE" program, After Cancer Experience.  Yes...it was certainly an "experience".  Strange wording in my opinion.  Had to make the acronym fit I assume.  Anyways, new oncologist...this makes our 6th I believe.  However, Dr. Bowers explained Jude's cancer the BEST I've heard it explained to date.  I loved what he had to say.  He told me that Jude's stage of cancer (4s) was rare.  He said they should've put in a port during his surgery and done chemo but they didn't.  The cancer had metastasized to his bone marrow...hence the stage 4s. Sometimes...but rarely...this type of cancer (Neuroblastoma) goes into spontaneous remission and Jude's DID!  So with all of the different variables at play, he explained that it was nothing short of miraculous that Jude is doing as well as he is!  Praise GOD!  Dr. Bowers said, "in my job, everybody always says, 'why do bad things happen to good people?' but here we have a case of why did something good happen?  I just can't explain it."  I immediately told him that I CAN explain it.  We serve and awesome God who heard and answered our prayers.  He has a mighty plan for Jude's life!  I will never stop thanking Him.  Plus, since Jude did not have chemo and radiation he won't have to worry about any of the possible long term complications from that.  And the added bonus of qualifying for "cancer survivor" scholarships when he's ready for college.  When we started this journey...or "experience" I guess I should say...we were told Jude would have to be seen by his oncologist until he's 18-22.  Dr. Bowers told us that we should come until he's 5 (for 2 more years) then can evaluate things then but possibly get to "go our separate ways" as he put it. Yay!  What a wonderful appointment!  All of his labs came back great and our hearts are full of gratitude to the Lord and joy for Jude's health.

Although we were both completely exhausted from the day, I felt like our good news deserved a celebration!  After checking into the hotel, Jude and I rallied and went out for a dinner date at one of our favorite restaurants by the hotel we like to stay at.  But not before the obligatory bed jump he gets to do when we stay in hotels.
And a quick Facetime with Brad, James and Katy Jane back home.
 
 
Finally at dinner.  I can't tell you how much I enjoy having 1-on-1 time with my kids.  I love to see their individual personalities come out when they have my undivided attention.  And my precious Judie Bug is quite the date.  Just an absolute joy.
After dinner we ran down to our other favorite restaurant to pick up some dessert to take back to the hotel.  Chocolate cake in bed?  Yes, please!
 
Up and at 'em the next morning we stopped for breakfast before heading to Carrie's.
Jude got to hang out with Morgan's chickens and collect a couple of eggs. 
 
On our way home I saw a place to pull over on the side of the road for a little break.  They claimed to have "Texas' best beef jerky", so why not, right?  As we pulled up a sign caught my eye and I had a major deja vu moment.  I had seen the sign before.  Then it hit me, 10 years earlier Brad and I drove to a game in Dallas with his parents and stopped at this same place and taken a picture.  Here were are...10 years ago, no children, no gray hair and wrinkles from sleep deprivation and 3 children.
And then 10 years later...my sweet little 3 year old at the same sign. 
 
Back on the road and on our way home.  We were so ready to get there.  I definitely tried to cram this trip into too short of a time.  Lesson learned.
Meltdown city hit about 2 hours from home.  Jude said, "I just no can handle this no more."  I felt the same.
A quick pit stop at the DQ did the trick.  Ice cream makes everything better.
Once we were home and finally settled back in, my boys were so happy to be back together.  We don't do well when we are all apart.
 Love these babies.
SO....we are tremendously grateful for the wonderful report on Jude's health.  The Lord has been so good to us. 
1 Thessalonians 3:7-9 
Therefore, brothers and sisters, in all our distress and persecutions we were encouraged about you because of your faith.  For now we really live, since you are standing firm in the Lord.  How can we thank God enough for you in return for all the joy we have in the presence of our God because of you?

Comments

Jen said…
Hallelujah!! SO happy to hear his appointment went well!! Praise the Lord!! He's getting so big!